Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been my dream to own a DCN since I first started keeping rats, and with my next batch, I finally intend on buying one. But, I do have two quick questions first.

1) My plan is to have only 3 rats (at first), and while this is probably a bit of a silly question I still can't help but wonder if a DCN would be too big for just 3 of them?

2) If I were to ever own males and females at the same time, would it be wise to house them within the same cage, albeit on different levels? (i.e. top = girls only, bottom = boys only) I'd never let them interact together unsupervised either, of course. But my boys were always very sneaky little things, so I want to make sure that it's safe, even if the levels are divided.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
1) a cage cannot be too big. The bigger the better, as long as the cage is a good one like a DCN, and that you have time to keep the cage clean.

2) only if you put a metal pan on the top level to make sure they can't chew through it- just my opinion. I personally would not recommend keeping both males and females without having either all the females spayed, or all the males neutered. Accidents happen very fast. Furthermore, having intact males will most likely increase your female rats heat behavior- which doesn't seem like a lot of fun for them.

I'm sure many people keep both intact sex without problems, I would just not do it personally.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Also my rats akways try to climb on outside of their DCN cage, as I'm sure all rats do. If kept in the same cage, it will only take a few seconds for two rats to mate if one decide to do that.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't plan on adopting boys (least of all while I own girls as well), but being the paranoid creature that I am, I always like to think ahead. lol

Anyways, thank you. I figured as much. Just imagining three little ratties clambering around in a huge two-story CN made me laugh. I'm keen on spoiling my furry children, and so spoiled they shall be. :p

·
Registered
383 Posts
We've had three rats in our DCN for about 9 months. They seem pretty happy there. We added a fourth 4 months ago. They still seem happy.

By contrast, I put all four into a starter cage while we dismantled the DCN for a thorough cleaning. They were kept in that cage for only 60-90 minutes, but one of them was clearly bored and was trying to chew the bars already. Our rats have never tried to chew through the DCN bars. So that seems like a decent indicator that they don't feel squeezed.

Also, if you take out the ramps, then they get plenty of exercise by climbing. The base is wide enough that they have enough room to run around.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
i have two rats and i am getting a dcn haha

1 - 6 of 6 Posts