Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new rat, Kobold. She's been with us for about less than a month. I have not put her in the same cage as my other rats. I have three others. Out of the three, only one ever has a problem with a new rat. I just did the second introduction time with them today. I thought I would be creative and grab some cardboard boxes and make a little play maze for them to play with while they met each other again. The one (skrit) who always has a problem with new rats, seemed like she was fine with her. (They get along at times, Cuddling with each other, just minding thier own businesses) She didnt really mind her. But all of a sudden she would attack Kobold, pushing her sideways and tumbling around with her. Kobold would squeak her little heart out until I had the chance to break them apart. it has happened both times. I cannot figure out why she has been doing this. I always end up ending the intro session after it happens.
One of the three (Twitch) I had introduced about three months ago. Skrit again was aggressive but was not as aggressive as she is towards Kobold. Mind the fact that Twitch is REALLY timid. She doesnt like any kind of confrontation when it comes to the pecking order of the family. Im afraid that they'll never get along. The alpha of the family has already accepted her. The alpha just usually runs at her and mounts her for a good 5 seconds then immediately grooms the living crap out of Kobold's face.
Im worried and I am not sure what to do.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Is there blood or any injury? You may be pulling them to soon and making it harder for them. Rats are rather violent little animals and often times what looks horrible to us is really nothing to them. Squeeking can be a sign of injury or it could just mean you have a complainer. My Cricket squeeks and squacks when she was pinned by a couple 6wk old babies, let alone when other adults pin her. We've also had some tussles and some scratches on ears before when we introduced Cricket to some rescue girls. They arn't all best buddies but they tolerate and live together now with little issue. Small tight spaces where a rat can get trapped are bad for intros. Open space, small enough they have to interact, is best.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there blood or any injury? You may be pulling them to soon and making it harder for them. Rats are rather violent little animals and often times what looks horrible to us is really nothing to them. Squeeking can be a sign of injury or it could just mean you have a complainer. My Cricket squeeks and squacks when she was pinned by a couple 6wk old babies, let alone when other adults pin her. We've also had some tussles and some scratches on ears before when we introduced Cricket to some rescue girls. They arn't all best buddies but they tolerate and live together now with little issue. Small tight spaces where a rat can get trapped are bad for intros. Open space, small enough they have to interact, is best.
Not that I can see. I'm just worried. I have a complainer right now, My Twitch will squeak if anyone comes close to her when she has food or wants to play with her. Kobold is so violently loud, it makes me nervous.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm currently doing my first intro myself, but as Kari was a free-ranger up until this point, I'm finding her to be "food-hungry" (she loves to store food).

So I'm thinking I'm going to start feeding her certain amounts at certain times during the day, just until she stops trying to store it all and thinking she's the only one allowed to have it. v.v

(She's also only shown dominance over the food, and has actually laid down in the tub when the pup mounts her. Even going into the pup's cage when I have her out to steal her food. :/ lol)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts