Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So far my black and white fancy rat RJ is fearless, he always runs up to the cage and climbs the bars. He licks the heck out of me. He's always checking out the entire cage. He potty trained instantly. The store I got him from said that he's never been handled other than putting him into a new enclosure.

My apricot dumbo named Apricot is a little shy, he moves around the cage a little. He loves to cuddle. He poops wherever.

My (blue? Looks gray to me.) dumbo rat named Dumbo is so sweet, when I do pick him up, he loves to cuddle. He does not explore the cage very much at all. He refuses to leave his hide very often. He poops wherever.

My brown dumbo rat named Nut is very scared, he lets me pick him up, but he nips my hands every now and then, he pinches my fingers with his teeth, but never draws blood. He absolutely refuses to leave his hide. He simply won't eat from my hand. He will sleep and cuddle in my hand after he calms down. He poops in his hide.

How can I help Dumbo and Nut explore their cage? I've been handling them a an 30-60 minutes a day each.

They're all male. The three dumbo rats are brothers, apparently they were shipped the a all female store, so they were up for adoption(free).

Will they grow out of it? I talk to them and hold them as much as I can.

I've been using forced socialization. The 3 dumbo rats simply won't eat from my hand, nor leave their hide when I'm near.

Edit.

I just read an article that said to take every hide out of the cage, and anything for them to sleep on. It will force them to explore the cage. Should I try this? Or should I leave them with all the hides and hammocks?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I don't know the answer here, but it would be interesting to know how old these boys are, I'm assuming they're pretty young?

·
Registered
149 Posts
I would definitely leave hides and hammocks in there. Give them time. Some rats take longer and some just aren't cuddle bugs and makes can be lazy. Also I've heard boys are harder to litter train. So far it seems to be true with my own boys as well. If it were me I'd just keep hanging with them as often as possible and keep offering treats.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts