Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have two adorable ratlets (males). As I walked into a pet shop to buy some rat food I came across a lonely male rat. It was there all by itself and it had to be very young. The thing is, do three rats altogether go well? Does anyone else have three rats altogether? How is it? Please give some suggestions, I can't let that little ratlet stay in there!

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I had three rats (in the past, obviously, :lol: ) and they got on just fine. With a lonely petstore rat, though, you'll want to quarantine him and be sure to do careful introductions, else your current rats catch any illness he may have or take offense to his presence. :)

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I know plenty of members, including myself, that have 3+ rats in their mischief. If you want to adopt another male rattie you need to remember a few things

1. look for testicles. If you don't see them take a picture (if possible) so the members can help sex the rattie properly....just in case.

2. quarantine the new rattie in separate airspace for three weeks. Another building is best but if that isn't possible as far away from your currents ratties as possible (i.e. opposite end of your house).

3. go through proper intros, which include meeting on neutral territory. There are many threads about intros. You can search and research.

after all this is done you should have a happy bunch of rattie friends. There is the possibility that they just won't get along, so you may want to have an extra cage just in case. It is best to introduce a younger rat to older ones as they tend to be less aggressive.

:)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, but will the size difference effect him in any way? The rats I have are brothers and their about four months old, so since the little rattie is so much smaller ... will my current guys bully him?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
That depends. My boys seemed to view the younger one as their baby. This doesn't mean there wasn't playful fighting (the addition of a new rat forces them to reassign dominance), but it means they tolerated a lot of tail nipping, tackling, and such that they don't take from older rats. The baby will get pinned and taught who's boss, of course, but the purpose of intros is to be sure the babe doesn't get hurt or worse.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I agree. The little rat boy will have a few weeks to grow during QT, so it shouldn't be too much of an issue. Intros can be stressful but unless there is biting or blood you should let them duke it out!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts