Rat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, just got two rats yesterday. A female Rex and a female Dumbo.

The rex has been sneezing alot since then, but it doesn't seem like she's that bad today, now she just seems really itchy. Should I watch out for anything.

Second, They don't get along well, biting and rough housing. I have a three story cage, so I seperated the first and second floor, and I have one on each. Then every once and a while, I swap them around. So that hopefully they will get used to each others scents. And Yes, I do have water and food on each story. No worries.

·
Registered
997 Posts
huntercs said:
Second, They don't get along well, biting and rough housing. I have a three story cage, so I seperated the first and second floor, and I have one on each. Then every once and a while, I swap them around. So that hopefully they will get used to each others scents. And Yes, I do have water and food on each story. No worries.
golden rule for rat 'fighting':No blood, no foul.

Rats order themselves, they see who is dominant and will test this a lot as they grow. Eventually they will settle down but separating them isn't going to alleviate the problem. If they were living together before, it'll be fine to leave them together now. Otherwise you'll need to do introductions which I'm sure someone here has a good link for.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Are they babies? Did they come from the same place? Babies often play rough and scream and pretend bite, but as long as there's no blood you don't have to worry. Put them back together.

If they are adults from different sources that could be a different story.

·
Registered
393 Posts
A little bit of sneezing isn't unusual when a rat is first brought home, as long as you aren't seeing any other symptoms (red porphyrin discharge around nose and eyes, wheezing, lethargy etc.) and the sneezes subside within a few days it's nothing to be worried about. As for being itchy she could possibly have parasites and you might want to bring her to a vet if she continues to scratch a lot and has any scabbing or thinning of fur.

As far as them not getting along, are they drawing blood? If they are not drawing blood on each other this is normal dominance fighting and they do not need to be separated. The general rule is "no blood no foul".

·
Registered
532 Posts
i like the idea of separating them on different layers - it seems like a great way to get them used to each other. good thinking~

as for the sneezes, i wouldn't worry unless they stick around for more than 2 *days or there is porphyrin coming from their noses. "new home sneezes" are really common.

how itchy is "itchy?" my boys stop and groom once every 10 minutes or so, and they don't have mites, fleas, etc. so i just assume that is normal grooming. they may feel weird about having your scent on them and are trying to groom it off asap.

* edit

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
BlueSkyy said:
i like the idea of separating them on different layers - it seems like a great way to get them used to each other. good thinking~

as for the sneezes, i wouldn't worry unless they stick around for more than 2 weeks or there is porphyrin coming from their noses. "new home sneezes" are really common.

how itchy is "itchy?" my boys stop and groom once every 10 minutes or so, and they don't have mites, fleas, etc. so i just assume that is normal grooming. they may feel weird about having your scent on them and are trying to groom it off asap.
Actually if these are rats that have been living together and the person just doesn't realize they are playing rough, separating is a bad thing.

New Home Sneezies should clear up in a week, any more than that and it could be URI or if ANY secondary symptoms show up they may need a vet.

Do they have scabs, and are scratching insanely, or are they scratching with a hind foot then nibbling on the toenails? That is grooming...ecto-parasite scratchign is much more insistent and can be frantic.

·
Registered
532 Posts
eep i meant two days not two weeks!

i guess when i read their post i assumed they were pet store rats that hadn't been introduced to each other. the petsmart here keeps each rat in its own enclosure, so none of the rats ever see each other. if the rats knew each other before they were put together then the play fighting is probably normal. i guess it depends on their situation :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok you guys are awesome, you answer like three other questions I had and I didn't even have to ask them.

Also looking back, it wasn't a Rex, she is a Blue.

Yes they are both young. Petsmart said they only had them in for a few weeks, and they both, particularly the dumbo, are small.

Something of note though is that they were not in the same cage. Petsmart had 2 cages for their rats, and it just so happened that I got one from each. Both of them caught my eye, specially the Blue. ^.^ I will post pictures once they get used to their super sexy three floor home.

I'm sure new-home sneezies is the best term for it, since she did start sneezing the moment she got into the car.

Now, a more important problem. I don't yet have a name for the dumbo :O

Oh now that I thought of it, what concerned me and why I seperated them, was when I was trying to go to sleep, I heard one of them squeeling, when I turned the light on the other was on top of her. Is it normal to get that violent? And is it normal to get more violent when the light is off?
The Blue(very light grey/blue round her, white everywhere else) is named snuffles/sniffles. My best friend named her that because of her sneezing.

The Dumbo has no name. But she is Albino, with some off-white caramel.

·
Registered
393 Posts
huntercs said:
Ok you guys are awesome, you answer like three other questions I had and I didn't even have to ask them.

Also looking back, it wasn't a Rex, she is a Blue.

Yes they are both young. Petsmart said they only had them in for a few weeks, and they both, particularly the dumbo, are small.

Something of note though is that they were not in the same cage. Petsmart had 2 cages for their rats, and it just so happened that I got one from each. Both of them caught my eye, specially the Blue. ^.^ I will post pictures once they get used to their super sexy three floor home.

I'm sure new-home sneezies is the best term for it, since she did start sneezing the moment she got into the car.

Now, a more important problem. I don't yet have a name for the dumbo :O

Oh now that I thought of it, what concerned me and why I seperated them, was when I was trying to go to sleep, I heard one of them squeeling, when I turned the light on the other was on top of her. Is it normal to get that violent? And is it normal to get more violent when the light is off?
The Blue(very light grey/blue round her, white everywhere else) is named snuffles/sniffles. My best friend named her that because of her sneezing.

The Dumbo has no name. But she is Albino, with some off-white caramel.

I'm no expert on coat types but I know it's possible for a rat to be blue and a rex. Rexes have curly fur whereas standard rats have straight fur. The other female sounds like she might be a himalayan or siamese.

http://www.hawthorn.org.uk/colour.asp?id=5 (Blue)
http://www.hawthorn.org.uk/coat.asp?id=4 (Rex)
http://www.hawthorn.org.uk/coat.asp?id=11 (Standard coat)
http://www.hawthorn.org.uk/articles/siamese.html (Siamese)
http://www.hawthorn.org.uk/colour.asp?id=30 (Himalayan)

Play fighting and dominance fighting can seem violent and rats are big drama queens so you will hear squealing and squeaking but unless there is blood being drawn it's all normal :3

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hey I had a rat named Snufflez. Except she wasnt named for sneezing. it was because there is a disease in rabbits that causes thier heads to tilt and my Snufflez had a tilted head form an old ear infection!!! lol.. wierd. you could name the dumbo KC?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hey I had a rat named Snufflez. Except she wasnt named for sneezing. it was because there is a disease in rabbits that causes thier heads to tilt and my Snufflez had a tilted head form an old ear infection!!! lol.. wierd. you could name the dumbo KC?

·
Registered
52 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Shrug, I know they said the Blue was a Blue. The Dumbo, from what I can tell is supposed to be an odd group.

But now they have names!!!!!

Sniffles/snuffles - the blue

Mistü - The Dumbo, shortened version of the german word Mistück, which means bitch. Self-explanatory lol. She was the first to start the fighting and wake me up from it.

Pictures tonight! I swear!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts