Rat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so tomorrow dad is taking me to get my lil Cas a friend! i'm so exited ;D the bad thing is, there are no babies available in my town through rescues/breeders. the only place i might be able to find a young female is in a pet shop, or from people who've bred them accidentaly. would i be a horrible person if i bought one from there? Cas is nearly 6 weeks old and has never once met another rat, so i'm in a rush to get her a friend to snuggle and play with.

the other question is this: is she definitly female? (i tried to get some pictures of her butt area but she was terrified of the camera and would NOT sit still!) she's 6 weeks old, and there are no signs of any balls whatsoever, and im 99% certain she's female. but is there any chance that she might be a he? apparently wild rats like her sometimes don't reach sexual maturity until they're 12 weeks?
as always, thanks for reading :)
(also sorry, i'm a complete newbie to rats so that's why i'm asking about 20 questions a day :p )

· Registered
1,141 Posts
Check for nipples. If a pet store or accidental breeder is your only option , I would go for it. Just be sure to monitor both rats for sickness. At six weeks old, she should have a buddy. Word of caution - make sure the new girl you bring home is unlikely to be pregnant. Check who she has been housed with etc. You would be surprised how often it happens.

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thankyou! i'm a complete worrywort so any sign of sickness and they will both be rushed straight to the vets :) i'll be very careful, as much as i love baby rats, i don't want a whole litter!

· Registered
475 Posts
Don't worry about asking a lot of questions I did that too c: And still do. As you might have noticed within the past two weeks I've been posting a lot of new threads haha. Asking/answering questions to help better care for pet rats is what this forum is for C:

· Registered
8,527 Posts
Females have a vagina, a hole under the pink knob. Males only have a pink knob and an anus.

I'd go accidental litter. If petshop, no older than five weeks to prevent pregnancy. Don't go for a rat older than twelve weeks or it'll be harder to introduce.

· Registered
92 Posts
Were you able to figure out if she was a R rattus/Roof rat?

I was able to determine the sex of my girl by the 4th or 5th week, maybe the 6th, when I noticed her nipples.

I just took Claudia to the vet today, and asked him about keeping a roof rat and a norway rat together. He said that personally he wouldn't do it because there is too much risk involved (for both rats). BUT, if you were to do it, to make sure to keep to keep them completely separate (quarantined) for a full month. I have heard of the two species being kept together just fine, but also heard of it leading to the Norway rat killing the roof rat. I'm not telling you what to do, just want to share some of the risks that I've came across in my research so you can be prepared. Be careful, and good luck!

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i'm fairly certain that she's a roof rat, her face and build is very petite and her ears are massive! thanks for the warnings, i'll be keeping an eagle eye on them when the do meet, i hope they get on! the only problem is i don't have enough space to quarantine, i only have one cage and can't afford another :( i've found a litter for sale, exactly the same age as Cas, and the owner seems like she knows what she's doing so there shouldn't be a problem with health :)

· Registered
8,527 Posts
Roof rats and Norway rats can live together if introduced young. There was a rat called tiny Tim who has a thread for more info.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.