Rat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So one rat passed away and I went to a store and got a small blue rat. To keep my ancient rat company. The new rat appeared to be all about being cozy any snuggled.
A bit later I went back and got another rat because well I liked it.

Fast forward a month or so ... My ancient love passed away.
Now my issue is the blue Rat I have is weird, doesn't want to come out of the cage and zips around really fast. Idk always wants to hide behind the micro wave .
Is there a way to change this or am I stuck with a strange o ?

·
Registered
31 Posts
My Daisy is social and loves her scratches and being held. Dahlia is a little weird and tenses when I pat her and runs to hide with the slightest noise while Daisy will go and investigate the noise. They are both loves in their own way. So you might be stuck with a weirdo but I love my little weirdo. Couldn't imagine having a different one.

·
Registered
629 Posts
My opinion is that the new guy is lonely. I assume he's young since you were saying you got him a month ago. I don't think he should have to spend the rest of his life alone. No human can provide the friendship to a rat that another rats can. Rats like being with other rats (there are exceptions, some rats are too aggressive to others). If you still like rats and want to continue owning them, I think he should get a cage mate.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are two rats... Two females, yet one of them is just skittish and doesn't really explore much. Her personality is not as social as I first thought she would be. Thank you for the replies.

·
Registered
190 Posts
That's ,my two girls--one is bold and sesms much smarter, the other is more timid and retiring. They have personalities just as we do.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Occasionally I get stuck with a rat who's not as awesome as the others. But it's clear that the other rats love her very much. So as long as all the rats are getting along, the less-awesome rat is serving an important purpose as support for the other rats.

Having said that, I have yet to meet a rat that doesn't respond positively to lots of patience and love. My hairless used to zoom around a lot and pee on everything, and I didn't think she was quite as awesome as her cagemate who was a cuddly squish. But in time, she mellowed out and I realized she really craves attention from me. Once I started accepting her as she is, and not expecing her to be anything other than herself, I began to really appreciate her.

I suggest checking out the sticky here on Immersion training. I think a little bit of that type of interaction with her will go a long way for you.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kind what I thought. It is what it is i guess.
Oh well, she doesn't bite or anything she's just timid. Shrugs, thank you for your replies.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts