Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive had milo for over a month now and hes been in antibiotics since i had him for a respiratory infection. Doxy baytril and a course of pred. A local rat expert told me i could go ahad and get milo a friend (as his friend before died from the uri he had from the terrible pet shop). I adopted from a rescue a guy about 4 mo old, milo is a little over 2 months. They roughhouse alot but milo has had a persisting cough that has been going on for a long time. I believe it is do to my housemates smoking, after being in antibiotics for that long when the new rat came in, two days later he had the cough too. Ive moved them into my room exclusively, they are both on doxy and baytril twice a day. They wrestle alot but no blood has been shed so i assume its okay. They were seperate for 5 days before moving in together. I have an air purifier coming in the mail, and i have a humidifier. Their symptoms are wet crackly sounding yawns, coughing fits now and then, sneezes and some chirpey sneezes. Milo has adopted a hunched position for most of the day, and he has been side breathing as well. Please any advice would be much appreciated.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
The hunched position and the coughing noise are sign of an URI. I would add amoxycillin to the Baytril and dixy. Baytril and doxy are great for mycoplasma/pneumonia but not for a secondary respiratory infection. You can get amox fish which is amoxycillin on the web without a prescription or go back to the vet for a better assessment. But it seems to me that they might need something for a secondary URI. Thanks for adopting, and sorry that your rat died-- as you said petstores are the worst places to get a rat.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts