Rat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have two female rats around 5 months of age, and I am planning on rescuing a male rat from the local SPCA. After quarantine, I plan to get him neutured, them once he has recovered, I want to introduce him to my two females.

But I am worried that my females will reject him, and he will feel alone. Does anyone else have an odd number of rats, and if so, do you have this problem?

Thanks.

·
Registered
155 Posts
i do not have an odd number but it can be possible to introduce them one at a time because he would probably get ganged up on. this is just what i think.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I have 3 girls together that I've only just introduced, and they're absolutely fine.

I don't think the fact that it's an odd number is an issue - you would run the same risk of outcasting one of them regardless of whether you had 2 or 8 in the same cage.

Unlike pooky, I would suggest you introduce them at the same time on some neutral territory. Introducing them one at a time may lead to a change in the natural heirarchy within your cage. I think it's best (unless dealing with large numbers of rats) to let the new rat 'fit in' to his/her place in the 'pack' as soon as possible. After all, it may bond well with one and not the other - and by the time you introduce the 2nd original rat - bam; you have one new rat with a friend that it can't be housed with, or one old rat that's lost it's friend because it'll be housed with the new rat.

·
Registered
155 Posts
ohhh i did no know that.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yep, I have three, I have always had trios, and never had a problem. I agree, neutral territory! And when you put them together, completely rearrange the cage and de-scent it, so that they all feel like they have no territory.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
When I had three they did just fine, though one is a natural loner.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I had three for the longest time, it always worked out well. My theory was when one was out getting "one on one time", the other 2 had each, and one was never left alone, and I never felt gulity for leaving one in. Usually though, I ended up having all three girls on me in a hoodie!

·
Registered
997 Posts
My three alternate on who is the loner.

Not too long ago I noticed Romi sleeping more and more in the igloo rather than in the hamster ball that Jake and Acid never left. But now I see Jake sleeping in the corner closest to my desk while Romi and Acid are all cozy in the ball.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have 3 girls, i started with 2. The 2 were 7 months old as hte third was about 5 months old. after a week of seeing each other thro the cage etc they got to meet each other whilst walking around on me and my partner. Amy (3rd member) had the chance to go back to her cage if needed. At the end of the week i totallt cleaned the main cage and put all 3 in together without the cage top. (just in the base) No problems what so ever. Somethimes all 3 sleep together, other times all 3 apart.

Definitely no hierachy problems. I might even try a 4th.....don't tell my partner...lol :?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have 3 girls, i started with 2. The 2 were 7 months old as hte third was about 5 months old. after a week of seeing each other thro the cage etc they got to meet each other whilst walking around on me and my partner. Amy (3rd member) had the chance to go back to her cage if needed. At the end of the week i totallt cleaned the main cage and put all 3 in together without the cage top. (just in the base) No problems what so ever. Somethimes all 3 sleep together, other times all 3 apart.

Definitely no hierachy problems. I might even try a 4th.....don't tell my partner...lol :?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts