Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They decided that the water bowl is a bidet! It's someone's favorite place to poo. The crazy thing is, it's one of the bowls that attach to the cage and I have it up fairly high. That means someone is balancing on the side of it to do his business.

I do water bowls many times a day but it's not enough for that. I don't have the heart to remove the bowl however, so Im still stuck having to clean it often. Mine like to wash their faces in it. Nothing cuter than seeing them cup the water in their hands and splash it all over their face.

Many are using the bottle for drinking though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I do the same thing. My rats will wash certain foods in the water dish before they eat it and wash their hands after eating something sticky like apple sauce. They will also give themselves little bird baths in it. I provide the water bottle for them to use in the event that they soil the water dish badly... and while sometimes they will still choose to drink the twelve hour old `bath water.` I figure realistically it can`t hurt them (as it`s changed in the morning and at night) and that the enjoyment they get from having an open dish is worth it.
My girls stopped pooping near the dish when I moved the water dish on to a different level of the cage from the litter box... now I only find a raisin there once a week or so.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, my girls use strictly a bowl. Though I do add a bottle if I'll be gone for the day. They have two bowls, one which is almost only used for swimming and bathing and the other one is for drinking and face washing.

All mine wash certain foods too. Especially veggies. I think it's cute the way the really scrub it well in there. Probably better than I do when I wash our produce. :)

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
u use both bowls and bottles. bottles keep the water fresher but they tend to enjoy bowls better both for washing and drinking

1 - 5 of 5 Posts