Rat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having serious thoughts about Edgar recently. He's a real handful. He'll sit and have a cuddle sometimes, but mostly he just wants to escape. I can't let him have free time with Addo as Addo is good as gold but Ed just wants to escape.

Edgar has been ill recently so he wasn't handled as much as Addo was.

I only had Ads in the beginning, but I realised very soon that he needed a cagemate. Everyone here assured me two was no more work than one, but I'm so down about the fact that Edgar is misbehaved. He's a rescued feeder, and I just wish he would be more like Addo.

It's awful that I have a favourite, and I feel SO terrible. I have to travel with them in a few days and I'm just dreading it, only because of Edgar.

Just thought I'd get that off my chest.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I think the key is to try not to compare them to each other, they're individual rats with individual habits...

And maybe Edgar knows Addo's the favorite and acts up for attention?

·
Registered
156 Posts
My two girls are polar opposites as well. Lucy is mischievous, curious, outgoing, and doesn't want to sit still. Mindy is timid, shy, (sometimes you have to drag her out of the cage), feels the need to hide and be close to you, and she even nips ears and fingers sometime (I think the fatty just mistakes them for a treat)... Mindy is the fat cuddly lap rat, even though she can be annoying. mThe thing they both have in common is they are very loving creatures and I love them equally for that alone. It's hard to leave one in but they seem to understand. Whoever makes it to the cage door first and seems more content with coming out, comes out first... at times they'll both be clung to the cage ready to play so i'll bring them both out.

·
Registered
229 Posts
How long ago did you get Edgar? Maybe he's still adjusting to life with you?
Even if that's his personality, I believe he can be taught that you don't like the way he acts, and if he cares about you at all (which most rats adore their parents) you can teach him to behave the way you want with lots of praise and treats for good behavior.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Misbehaves? Hardly.

Being a feeder rat originally, he probably didn't get handled at all, and his parents were probably much the same way. It's not his fault that he's nervous about being held; he just needs to be worked with. I've had some scared rats turn into absolute squishes after forced socialization sessions and lots of handling.

It takes work (sometimes months' worth), but honestly... if you're going to purchase rats from the feeder bin, you brought it on yourself. Feeder rats aren't "meant" to be social, and their breeders (and the store owners) basically just throw food at them every now and then. You should look into rat rescues in the future - if it's a reputable rescue, the rats get handled and socialized from the day they're surrendered until they go to their new home, and the rescue will be upfront about all possible health/behavorial issues.

Every pet is going to have some sort of problem more than likely. Whether it's issues dealing with health, behavior, phobias... is anyone's guess. As owners, we have to take it upon ourselves to realize it's our responsibility to deal with them and help the animal as much as humanly possible. Comparing Edgar to your other rat is probably the worst thing you can do. He's not Addo, and he has some issues that need to be worked with. That doesn't make him a bad rat, and he is not misbehaving.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I agree with Night - he's not misbehaving, he's just severely undersocialized, having come from the feeder bin. They don't bother touching or playing with the feeder rats at pet stores, so it's a wonder that he'll even sit and have a cuddle with you sometimes!

Some skittish feeder rats never really lose their "wild" streak and are really timid, despite efforts to socialize them. It takes effort, but many come around.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree, and he's coming around. This afternoon I made an extra effort to coax him into being confident enough to come up to me, and it worked.

Don't get me wrong guys, I love him dearly. They're both equal in my eyes but I get so frustrated. Addo was my first rat and he was a dream. Well handled when I got him and generally very calm.
Ed is a naughty little thing! I love him though.

Thanks for all the messages though, I think I just needed to get those things off my chest, I felt terrible.

With a bit of lettuce this afternoon, I was able to get him to sit in my lap and eat it, he even groomed me a little!

·
Registered
194 Posts
sometimes i find they push you to your limit, and just when you think you can't take anymore they suddenly come good. i had that with a few of mine. and they often make the most loving pets. stick with him, he'll repay your kindness for life x

·
Registered
722 Posts
My youngest, Gwendolyn, was a feeder (I had no idea that I shouldn't be buying feeders as pets at the time), and it's taken her a LONG time to come around. But I also think it has something to do with the fact that I already had three well behaved girls before her. I couldn't just abandon the other three just for Gwen... and to be honest, it was just easier to take one of the other girls out of the cage. She's coming around, though... she still has her moments, but she's getting used to me. She even groomed me the other day!

My roommate also has two rats that were feeders... and she has a lot of the same problems with them. They just don't connect like any of the other girls do.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
i wouldn't say never get feeders or that all feeders are work but it does seem to go that way more often. and for good reason. they tend to get get handled less and their breeding is for numbers not quality. having said that though i have had many a rat from a pet shop and some of them were always a joy, while others took some convincing and a small few took me just getting used to their quirks and adjusting myself to fit them. however i think you will find this is in a lot of adult surrendered rescues as well as most of them originally come from a pet shop anyway.

its luck of the draw when it comes to things like that i think. Spider was always wonderful but her sister, Snicketts, was always a pain. twix is a bully but her sister tween is grandma to everything that moves. sweetipie has always been sweet and so has babydoll. yet Lyiint was always much more aloof. iedani, feeder rat bought as a pet, had her problems that i could not solve yet her daughter Kakushi, who was raised in a home, is still shy and a bit nippy and pushy. sweet-ums, though i only knew her for a short time, was shaping up to be an on the go rambunctious, carefree little girl, and peaches is heading that way too though she is extremely laid back (will let you hold her upside down if you wanted without squirming) and brisby is quickly coming out of her shell with just some shoulder rides and gentle pats as encouragement. all these rats mentioned (with the exception of kakushi) came from a pet shop that does not distinguish between what rats are sold for food and which ones are sold for pets. some were easier then others to win over, heck some didn't need any winning over at all. really, it depends on the rat and how they have coped with life before you came into it. saying that all feeder bin rats involve extra work is unfair. some of the home raised rats need just as much work (as in Kakushi's case).

anyway, that's my ramble on it...

good luck with your rat though. it'll take some time and love but he'll come round, then you'll wonder how you ever had a life without him in it. keep us posted on his progress

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I believe I made a post on here about the crew I have right now. Almost everyone one of them started out their journey in a feeder tank. They are all absolute sweet hearts.

The only holy terror I have right now is not a feeder. She is a gorgeous blue dumbo self. She loves us, she has never bitten anyone & she really enjoys being handled & loved on. But she wants to kill her biological sister & she fights horribly with the two girls she use to live with quite peacefully. She was fairly brutal with the naked female that came to us along with her sister. However she is very friendly with the other little girl that came with her sister's group. Go figure!

·
Registered
187 Posts
I've had more trouble with my rescues originally from a local byb breeder than the feeder rats I used to buy.
It all has to do with socialization.
I know you love them both and it's perfectly normal to have a favourite. We all our special ones.
So keep working on Edgar, teach him you are love and not someone that will hurt him one day. He will one day come around and be the happiest rat ever.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts