63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess I should introduce myself!

I'm a sophomore in college

I love food

I like painting

I wish I was a super hero

all i do is study

and this is my first rat ever because my mom forbade them when I lived at home so now I have my own apt. and she can kiss my ass! yay!

·
Registered
527 Posts
aw, she's gorgeous! =)
if Punkin doesn't have a rat friend, you should get her one asap.
rats are very social and need to have company, and two rats are so much more fun and just as easy to take care of as one!
welcome to the forums!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
see I REALLY want to get her a friend but I am afraid the 40 dollar cage I got for Punkin isn't big enough for two rats....It's three stories.....about one foot by one foot.....I donno...i can't afford another cage but i am worried she will be lonely!!!! ARGH

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Welcome!

A cage with a 1 foot by 1 foot footprint may be (well, will likely be) too small for her even all alone. And rats really do need cagemates.

I think "Japanese Hooded" is the old term for standard hooded (hoodie) so you'll probably hear her called that here. ;)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So her cage isn't one foot by one foot.....I'm retarded. And wouldn't ya know that in my entire apartment I don't own anything to measure with.....christ.

So here's a picture of dear punkin standing on the ground floor of her cage ( GRINDING HER TEETH LIKE CRAZY, IS THIS NORMAL????)

and well....here's just one cute picture of her!

Oh and uh....all the fuzzy stuff in the bottom of the cage is what was inside her little bed....does anyone know why she is destroying her little bed and speading the stuff all over the cage? And this....TEETH grinding, what IS it?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK, the cage is 18inches tall- 14inches wide one way and 12 inches wide by the other way.....Can I put a friend in with punkin? Cause I really can't afford buying yet ANOTHER cage:(

·
Registered
482 Posts
Am I right in saying that bruxing could also mean she's stressed out? I'm not implying she is, I just thought it could mean both things.

Your ratty needs TOYS! Lots of toys, bells and jingly things, hammocks lots of hammocks!

Rats are very very intelligent and need lots of things to stimulate their curious little minds!

·
Registered
94 Posts
BlueSkyy said:
the teeth grinding is called bruxing, and it means she's happy :D
or nervous lol

·
Registered
532 Posts
yeah she could be stressed, but she dosn't look too scared in the pics. she would probably be trying to hide if she were nervous and then brux once she found a safe spot. either way, she's so cute!

·
Registered
527 Posts
hmm, i dunno then.
maybe you could try craigslist..often times there are cheap cages on there, or you could sell her old cage so you have money for a new one...
until you can afford a new cage with room for another girl, i guess you'll just have to give her lots of attention! and i'm sure you do that already! :wink:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I was also going to suggest selling yours for another, that's what I did.
Here is a rat cage calculator: http://health.ratzrus.co.uk/cagecalc/index.htm

If you have nothing to measure, just keep in mind that a standard piece of paper is 8 1/2 X 11". Fold it in half (or thirds) either way to help measure smaller distances, etc.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts