Rat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, both my boys have a little bit of a "cold." They are both on some meds. But anyway, today I noticed that there were a couple of little drops of blood in the cage. There isn't a lot but it is noticable. Could this just have been a little argument between them and someone got scratched or something? I checked both of them and there are no noticable wounds. Or is it something with their colds? Your thoughts?

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Sounds like porphryin spray from when they sneezed. Porphryin is a red fluid they exude, especially when they are sick.

What meds are your rats on for their "cold"? Sounds like they have a URI and some meds may not be appropriate for it.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
yeah, as lilspaz said, its just their snot. their tears are red too so if you find some eye crusties that are red don't panic, that's normal too. doxy i believe is pretty good for RI, at least its prescribed a lot. someone else here may know of a better combo to use if the cold is persistent, but doxy is generally a good start.

in any case though, this belong in the health section: MOVED

·
Registered
155 Posts
one of my rats have URI but other than that she is perfectly healthy. should i take her cagemate that does not have it out?

i need to go give her her med.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Do not remove her cagemate. They were already together so the cagemate has already been exposed to whatever she has and if it's just a myco flare up all rats have myco so it doesn't necessarily mean the other rat will have a flare up as well. You can remove her to give her her meds though if the other rat is trying to eat the food containing them. Other than that keep them together because being separated would just make things more stressful for her.

·
Registered
155 Posts
now that i put them back in the same cage winky is showing pookie not to follow her around that much. while pooky is showing who is more dominant by placing her teeth on winky not leaving a mark or blood. they are intresting to watch. :)

i also cut a strip of long cloth about 1 foot or 2 long and hung it up like a sort of swing that i put some dog food on. winkie will reach up to see what it is occationaly.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Anyone know why their snot is red? I go to a private prep school and wear a uniform when I have my white sweater on Noah will blow his nose on me. He only does it with the wite one. I guess he associates it with a tissue. The bad thing is I wont notice till Im in class.

·
Registered
393 Posts
JESSU said:
Anyone know why their snot is red? I go to a private prep school and wear a uniform when I have my white sweater on Noah will blow his nose on me. He only does it with the wite one. I guess he associates it with a tissue. The bad thing is I wont notice till Im in class.
Here's some good info on porphyrin: http://www.ratbehavior.org/porphyrin.htm

1 - 10 of 10 Posts