Rat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own 2 male rats that will be 2 years old in December and these past weeks I've been wondering about what to do when they eventually pass away.

(Gordon, left, and Barney, right. Waiting for me to put the wooden ramp down so they can play out.)

One of the rats isn't neutered... if he passes first I can add 2/3 females to the cage to keep neutered male from getting lonely without the risk of offspring and also keep the community going.

However.. I've been reading online that females are very very prone to tumours in places like their ovaries. Apparently it's as high as 50%. (Some sort of population-control through their genetics, maybe?)
Now... i don't know if this is something from the "vocal minority" as it were. (i.e if people don't have a problem with X, they don't post about it etc.)
Maybe it's more of a region thing. Are rat breeds in North America/Russia/Canada more prone to such issues?

Sadly I'm currently car-less (the nearest exotic vet is ~30 miles away), so any needed vet visits will be down to if a friend is free to drive me there and back. Obviously this is not ideal.

So... I'd love to hear from the users here about their experiences with female rats.

Thank you.

·
Registered
205 Posts
If your rats are healthy now they should still have a quality future. I know people who have had rats for 5 years. Its genetics and environment. If one passes definitely get another cagemate but an older one would probably be best. Concerning females and tumors I'm not going to comment cause the information out there could be true or maybe not. The safest thing for females is to get them spayed cause the information out there says that reduces their tumor chances. However you have to risk their lives by possible anesthesia death.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I have had 50 rats over the last 16 years ,all does,and 17 of them have been to the vets for lump removals.Others have had lumps when they got old,2yrs plus,so I chose not to have them operated on.It’s upsetting at first ,dealing with the lumps,but I honestly have got used to it over the years.I love the sparkiness and cheekiness and crazy energy of female rats ,so to me its worth the risk of dealing with mammary tumours.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Mammary tumors are very, very common in female rats, as are other tumors in both sexes. All rats are the same "breed", there are no "healthier" breeds of rat. You should continue trying to find a vet, as it's not fair to them if they become ill and need treatment, but can't be given any.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The best way to avoid health problems is selecting a quality breeder. However, the basic answer to your question is yes. In my experience my own and many of my friends female rats have ended up with unfortunate fatal tumors. I even have an agouti curly hood from a pretty good breeder who just ended up with a tumor. It's an unfortunate flaw with rats that they often come with issues. Many species who breed quickly also die quickly.

·
Registered
109 Posts
When I had females, over half had tumors removed. It didn't matter whether they were bought from a breeder or not. My advice is to check out CareCredit or save for vet bills.
Yes if you Google it 50 percent of female.rats regardless of where they are from will end up with tumors if they are not spayed. Spaying at a young age is the only thing that prevents it.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I have found overweight rats are way more prone to tumours.Also a rat expert vet once told me that research has shown that the tumours could be viral,passed from the mother to kits at birth.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Don't get me wrong it wasn't trying to say breeders prevent mammary tumors. They don't.at all. It was a general statement.
I am sorry if I gave the impression that is what you were implying. Breeding has been shown to reduce the possibility of tumors especially if the breeder calculates pairings.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts