Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is just something I've been thinking about, no rhyme or reason really lol. But do you guys think that there is an under represented rat gender? I know when there have been posts in the past asking whether or not someone should get a boy or a girl is seems like both sexes are shown pretty equally. But in rescues or other places do you feel like a certain gender is favored over another? Is it more of a regional thing?

Just a random thought, but I'd be interested in knowing what you all think!

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Boys fill up rescues faster and seem less likely to be adopted in my opinion. Everyone thinks they smell, are aggressive, hates their balls, wants a playing rat, etc. They seem crippled by stereotypes IMO.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I agree that's kind of what I've been thinking too. I just found it interesting because I was reading through some older posts and it seems like when those "boys vs. girls" debates come up people recommend boys....and yet "in real life" I was thinking that I find it's often males that get the short end of the stick.

·
Registered
270 Posts
WHO COULD HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THOSE BALLS

I really think the LGBT rats are underrepresented here, I mean I've literally never seen anyone mention a LGBT rat!

·
Registered
210 Posts
The only males I've owned have been neutered, so I can't speak for their unattractive genitals. But I've always favoured males over females. I like their squish, how much bigger they are, their tendency to be more cuddly... I've never had to deal with buck grease and male marking, but I'd assume that's a big turn off.

And, lmfao, Flight of the Conchords is love.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I must admit, having to crawl about on my knees wiping up little puddles of wee ain't so much fun. I have leather sofas and for some reason my boys love to run along the back of them streaking pee along the way! Dirty wee monsters. I was also unimpressed to discover my favourite throw blanket in the living room had become a favoured marking spot. Stinky :(

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's kind of odd because in my experience it has been the opposite. The girls that I've had in the past marked EVERYTHING. Now, Bane marks periodically and Loki almost never.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Funny enough, I ran my stats and determined my rescue gets in three times as many males as females. I'm not sure what to make of that, but I think the area does play a big role in things.

As for adopting out, in my experience females are much easier to place than males, IF they are young. Males are harder to place in general, but older males are easier to place than older females.

·
Registered
680 Posts
We got males because that's all they had at the local pet stores. All the stores are single sex, and for some reason all the ones around here are male stores. There was one in Reno that was Female, but my wife didn't like any of the ones they had.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Males tend to have more trouble for some reason though I prefer them and their smoochy kisses and cuddling.

My females are great too but when I want to cuddle, I go to my male.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I've had the complete opposite experience lol... All the pet stores only had females, and the humane society says they get a lot of girls, too. Crazy!

·
Registered
444 Posts
I started off with boys and when I accidentally got a girl I could tell INSTANTLY. She's so fast and inquisitive! I definitely prefer males, I would never give my lady up but I don't think I'd ever get another female. I don't really think males are that much stinkier and my current two hardly ever mark whereas my previous boys would pee EVERYWHERE! I love my squishy boys :D

·
Registered
156 Posts
Boys fill up rescues faster and seem less likely to be adopted in my opinion. Everyone thinks they smell, are aggressive, hates their balls, wants a playing rat, etc. They seem crippled by stereotypes IMO.
I absolutely agree, the stereotypes are reinforced all over the place. Here, I've read "boy or girl?" threads where the smell of boys is often cited, and there's of course buck grease. You'd think the little boy rats were like a slimy stink bomb based on some of the posts. Seemingly innocent comments also reinforce the stereotypes. "My cage is SUCH a mess, oh well, boys will be boys!" or "I tried litter training but they refused to poop in the litter pan. Boys will be boys!" Boys being lazy and marinating in urine. A lot gets attributed to boy rats because they are boys, that really is probably more specific to the individual rat than it is the rat's gender.

What interests me most on it, is often these things are said by people who've never owned the other gender of rats.

All that isn't to say that boy rats and girl rats are identical, obviously they aren't and there are some truths even in the stereotypes. Perhaps not to the extreme people make them out to be.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Our boys have never had an odor. The cage certainly does after a few days but the rats keep themselves clean

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
I absolutely agree, the stereotypes are reinforced all over the place. Here, I've read "boy or girl?" threads where the smell of boys is often cited, and there's of course buck grease. You'd think the little boy rats were like a slimy stink bomb based on some of the posts. Seemingly innocent comments also reinforce the stereotypes. "My cage is SUCH a mess, oh well, boys will be boys!" or "I tried litter training but they refused to poop in the litter pan. Boys will be boys!" Boys being lazy and marinating in urine. A lot gets attributed to boy rats because they are boys, that really is probably more specific to the individual rat than it is the rat's gender.

What interests me most on it, is often these things are said by people who've never owned the other gender of rats.

All that isn't to say that boy rats and girl rats are identical, obviously they aren't and there are some truths even in the stereotypes. Perhaps not to the extreme people make them out to be.
That is part of what turned me away from boys. People always say they pee everywhere & all over them and make buck grease sound awful. But at the same time alot of people say how cuddly boys are and then it makes me want one again lol.

Ive only had girls ill probably keep just girls.

·
Registered
680 Posts
The boys are fine by me. Their cage stinks if you get close to it, but not from like across the room. And while they do pee around the room I'm pretty diligent about cleaning it up as we have light colored carpet and it's pretty obvious. Tempy is pretty bad about pooping though. Seems like the others all have a spot they like to go in. Unfortunately it's not the litter pan, but at least they have a spot. Tempy will poop anywhere. In the cage, outside the cage, in his own bed and then lay in it. I don't know what that's about.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts