Rat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i took reggie(14 weeks) to vet today cos he got a lump by his groin. the vet said that only 1 of his testes has dropped and that the lump is his undropped teste. the vet said he should live quite hapily with it but would like some advice. should he be neutered??

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Hello.

As for neutering, I don't know. I've never had to get any of my rats 'done' however, it's a reasonably big op for a small animal, and is not without risks, e.g. abcesses.

As for the undropped testicle, I'd be careful with that. I once had a hamster with exactly the same thing - or so we thought. It turned out to be a hernia which eventually constricted. I don't know how similar rats and hamsters are, but I can't imagine they are too different in that region.

Could neutering get rid of the problem/force the vets to look more closely at it?

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Hello.

As for neutering, I don't know. I've never had to get any of my rats 'done' however, it's a reasonably big op for a small animal, and is not without risks, e.g. abcesses.

As for the undropped testicle, I'd be careful with that. I once had a hamster with exactly the same thing - or so we thought. It turned out to be a hernia which eventually constricted. I don't know how similar rats and hamsters are, but I can't imagine they are too different in that region.

Could neutering get rid of the problem/force the vets to look more closely at it?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi thanks, the vet did say it was that or a hernia, but he was more adament on the testicle as there is one not visible. he said to keep a close eye on him and if he seems to be in pain i must take him back immediately. it came up very quickly, one day wasnt there, the next it was. this morning i was smaller than yesterday but its a little bigger again now. he is still eating,drinking and playing. it doesnt seem to bother him wen it is touched

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
IF it is a hernia, I wouldn't rely on his pain threshold. My hamster was fine, until one day I picked him up, felt a button on his tummy and the 'lump' had gone rock hard and was bright blue underneath the skin. The vet said it was a undropped testicle when I queried it (and he's usually reasonably thorough, especially as - like yours - he only had one visable)

I suggest you (gently) keep an eye on the feel of it, if you notice any stiffening of it, or colourchange, get help immediately.

I hope it is just an undropped skadoo, that'll make it all much less complicated! :)

Well good luck!

(And I don't mean to scare you - it's best to worry about it and double and triple check, than not check at all though, right?)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks very much, i intend to keep a close eye on him and perhaps get a second opinion from another vet, the lump does move, not like its stuck anywhere. can i ask did ur hamster die or can they treat these things?

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Unfortunately, he died. He had a heart condition which we were finally starting to treat when the hernia constricted and I had to have him put to sleep.

I can't remember if his moved or not, but if it's mobile it sounds like a good sign

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I did find this:
http://ratguide.com/health/neoplasia/testicular_tumors.php

and I found a post where a user suggest that undescended testicles left alone can die where they are, causing gangrene and according to that link above it seems that males left with undescended testicles create a greater risk to testicular cancers.

I think they are incredibly rare, but find that quite odd as the inguinal cavity doesn't close after birth like us or other animals so ANY rat could has a chance of having their testes go back up O_O Apparently that's a danger with a neuter.

If you do decide to get a surgery for your guy, I would suggest calling around for a vet more comfortable with rat spays and neuters as well as tough tumor removals as this would be a more difficult surgery than a normal neuter.

Good luck, I still have not found a great answer on this but i'm sure there is an answer out there somewhere.

·
Registered
418 Posts
My rabbit has one undropped testicle too, though there is absolutly no sign of it. He's about 1 year now and it hasn't caused him any problems yet, but I do plan on getting him neutered (for aggression reasons) and I still have to talk with the vet about going and finding the lost one. I plan on not having it searched for since I worry about how he would recover, but I can let you know how I goes if you would like.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks poppyseed, tats really helpful. and thanks loastbutnotforfotten. would be realy grateful if u could let me know how ur rabbit gets on.
at this moment in time, i am due to move house next week, so as u can understand, money is a bit tight at the mo. so i will give the local charity vet a call and c if they will c him as soon as im sorted. i live in the hope that he will recover, for his brothers sake. poor ronnie would b lost without him, and so would i. hes such a loving little boy. ill ring around some other vets for advice and keep u updated.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
If he is alright, and acting healthy I would honestly wait until you can afford a reliable exotics vet. I know those charity vets cut costs with sterility of instruments, types of stitching, and safety of anesthesia. If he's fine now, wait it out and save up. If he starts to show any signs of illness then might be the time to get him neutered.

Rat anesthesia is very complicated as they are small and sensitive to the cheaper forms. Make sure anyone you speak to has done many successful rat spay and neuters, make sure they use isoflourine (I THINK this is the correct one), and internal sutters as well as antibiotics and pain meds prescribed afterwards.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok thanks, he is still acting normal, the lump does not feel or look any different. its hard for me to get a proper good look at it as he is soo active :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts