Rat Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
More trials and tribulations.

Wanted to do another socialization with Lucky but she wasn't in the box. She was, however, in a PVC pipe I got for the cage. Set up the other room and picked up the pipe to carry and right outside the room (in another room that's literally the most cluttered in the house) she started to climb outside the pipe. I should have plugged the pipe with my hands but I'm still a little bite-traumatized, I find. I tried to keep her on it but she jumped. Fell about 4-5 feet, landed on her feet. Calmly tried to coax her with treats but she roamed to a hiding spot, under my writing desk! Only like 2 inches off the ground.

I didn't panic. I didn't force her out. Left her box there and 4 hours later checked back and still not in there, but was out from under the desk. Found her behind a dresser so I put the box on one end and just approached the other end and she went into the box. Now back in the cage.

If I were Lucky I'd associate me with chaos :LOL:.

I'm considering the possibility of having both go to the rescue and taking home some rats that are more socialized just because a) I know Lucky and Snowy will have a good home and b) maybe Lucky shouldn't suffer through my trials. Will hope to keep her, though, but will be open to what the rescue owner thinks when I visit.

Registered
Oliver Bean, Phyllis, Waffle, Taco, Atlas, Cirrus, Orion
More trials and tribulations.

Wanted to do another socialization with Lucky but she wasn't in the box. She was, however, in a PVC pipe I got for the cage. Set up the other room and picked up the pipe to carry and right outside the room (in another room that's literally the most cluttered in the house) she started to climb outside the pipe. I should have plugged the pipe with my hands but I'm still a little bite-traumatized, I find. I tried to keep her on it but she jumped. Fell about 4-5 feet, landed on her feet. Calmly tried to coax her with treats but she roamed to a hiding spot, under my writing desk! Only like 2 inches off the ground.

I didn't panic. I didn't force her out. Left her box there and 4 hours later checked back and still not in there, but was out from under the desk. Found her behind a dresser so I put the box on one end and just approached the other end and she went into the box. Now back in the cage.

If I were Lucky I'd associate me with chaos :LOL:.

I'm considering the possibility of having both go to the rescue and taking home some rats that are more socialized just because a) I know Lucky and Snowy will have a good home and b) maybe Lucky shouldn't suffer through my trials. Will hope to keep her, though, but will be open to what the rescue owner thinks when I visit.
Well, you sure are getting a crash course in rat keeping! We've all been through this. It can be scary for both humans and rats when they get lost in a room and don't know what to do. If the rescue is open to this, everyone might do better with rats who have been handled more. I am currently swapping out 7 girls for 2 boys. The girls are well socialized and can go to the other foster, but the two boys she has are terrified of people, so that's my next challenge...socializing these poor boys. It's what we do at the rescue, try to match owners with rats 馃槉

Registered
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Update:

went to the rescue and traded out Snowy for two young females. Also confirmed Lucky is too young to be pregnant.
Meet Spotty and Mixy (names tentative)

rescue owner suggested I clean out the cage thoroughly before adding in everyone. Is this to cleanse of any rat smells to start anew?
Vertebrate Pet supply Mammal Mesh Fence

Registered
Well done! I'm so happy you went to a rescue for help. Now you can get started with socializing. Yes, cleaning is helpful to give them a fresh start, but you don't need to be hospital clean lol. Give them all a few days to settle in, give them treats and talk to them often.

Registered
Well done! After a few times out, they will relax and start to explore. They are a lovely little mischief馃槉 Lucky is the brave one, the curious one. The other two will soon show their personalities, too.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Hopefully it's not a problem that I've made this my little journal. At least I figure it's better than making a lot of cluttering threads on other boards, haha.

Did another session out of the cage yesterday. Went better! No bunching in the corner. Also, I'm really trying to get over my bite-shyness and I managed to pick up all three of them (separately) behind their front legs and supporting their bottoms. I maybe held them for about 30 seconds, trying to calm them, which I think I was fairly successful with.

Lucky, though, continues to be a biter, haha. While standing around she nibbled at my toe twice. Both didn't draw blood.

She's the most curious and adventurous of the lot. First out of the cage, not afraid to come up to us, so I don't think it's aggression but just her way of exploring? Hopefully the metal spoon baby food will help get her out of it because honestly both me and my son are now the skittish ones. I wonder if she thinks she's the alpha (fe)male of our social group, haha.

Registered
Lucky is just tasting and testing. It's how the youngsters get to know their surroundings. I call it 'honking' where they gently bite, but mostly just put pressure. It's not mean or aggressive, just curious. I had a 'honker' who always had to gently 'bite' me, fingers, knees, ankles, anything. Just a 'hey, hello, are you flesh or food?' :LOL: That was Cricket.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts