Rat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago someone posted an ad on Craigslist selling a male dumbo rat and cage. They were in my neighborhood so I posted in my areas rat FB group offering to help transport if any one wanted him. I texted the person asking for pictures as well. No one responded to my post so i never got back to them and quite honestly i forgot.

So today the person texted me that they were now giving the rat away for free, did i want him. I agreed because they sounded desprate.

The question is, do i try and find a vet who will neuter or do i get him a friend? I currently have 5 girls- 3 are old ladies and 2 are just 1 yr. I have no idea how old the boy is. My cage is definitely big enough to split but id feel bad taking away my girls freedom!

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Quarantine is three weeks, it should give you enough time to work things out. I think that neutering would be the best way to go. He'll be able to live with your girls and there's no chance of accidental pregnancy.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im asking our local rat rescue what vets they can recommend and ill be calling some places today.

Gosh I wasnt really expecting to bring in a new rat but its exciting! Ive also never had a boy before so im eager to see the differences.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, hes a sweetheart. Just kinda hangs out, is totally ok with being picked up. A little smelly but I didnt want to give him a bath just yet. Hes staying at my work until I can get him to a vet.

The girl gave me some vitacraft food, an exercise ball, and hay. :/ And his cage has an igloo and a wood chew, thats it. His name is Einstein but I like less syllable names so weve been calling him Science, lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh and he was "2 months old" when they got him and theyve had him for 2 months. He was alone at the pet store. I hope that doesnt cause any problems when we finally get to intros!

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In the process of calling vets... no one wants to give me a neuter estimate until they see the rat... I can't pay 5 vets $40-50 just for them to tell me how much a neuter is!

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gah I can't edit my post, sorry for posting so many times in a row. So far my best bet is $42 check up and $80 neuter that includes all meds! A little more than I wanted to spend but at least its not $300 lol

·
Registered
320 Posts
Aw, he is really, really cute.

He's so lucky to have landed with you.

Thanks for doing all this for him.

I got quoted $185 apiece, for my two new "free" boys' neuters. Sigh.

Guess what I'm getting for Christmas, for myself, this year? Two de-ballzed rattie boys.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Science has an appt on Tues! If he checks out okay, they'll do the neuter that day as well!

(gosh why cant I find the button to edit my posts??)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts