Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I make lab blocks available all the time, or give them a certain amount?
If I make lab blocks available all the time, will my girls get fat? The guy I got them from said their dad weighed almost 2 pounds, because his daughter fed him whenever he begged.

I've been giving them 3-4 blocks in the morning, but if the food is gone by night I will give them some more before bed.

I have seen Stella (nursing mum to 12 babies) stealing Luna's stashed food when I bring her over to play in the main cage. I don't know if it's because she's hungry, or just because she is pushy and Luna is quieter. I do feed her extra, back in her cage.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Personally I believe rats should have access to unlimited food because of their fast metabolism. You can cut back if they gain too much weight, but I've never had a problem with obese rats and I've always gave them access to unlimited lab blocks

·
Registered
Cocoa, Latte, Biscotti, Gelato, Bean, Coffee, Oat, Misto
7 Posts
They should definitely be getting unlimited blocks. It won’t make them fat, as long as they have enough space to run and play

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just wanted to be sure, after hearing about their fat dad. She was probably giving him lots of treats.
Plus, my old cat overate and got fat, but he got lazy as he got older.
Thanks.

·
Registered
Tesla, Ruby, Cloud, and Poe
92 Posts
Yes, give them unlimited blocks. Just don't go overboard on the treats and they should be fine and healthy. They need to eat frequently.

·
Registered
55 Posts
For me, I fill the food bowl with lab blocks every day. They tend to eat nearly everything each day, but I only refill it daily.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I had rats previously who had unlimited pellets and they were fine because they were active. But I've also had rats that would over eat and/or hide food in places that ruined it and I was losing more food than they were eating.

The two I have now are like that. So I give them each a portion (about a 1/4 cup per rat) at night along with some fresh food and if they've eaten it all by morning I'll give them about half what their dinner portion was in the morning. Most of the time that additional food isn't completely gone before it's dinner time again.

Every rat is different and you just have to monitor them. Make sure you're giving them plenty of fresh foods too!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts