Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so my boyfriend and I have had our two female rats for a little over a week. They are both around 7 weeks old. One of them seems to be adjusting better to us, her new home, etc. better than the other. Pippa, the one who is friendlier allows us to handle her just fine and she is more active. She's much calmer when being handled. Nelly, on the other hand, tries to get away when being handled and is much harder to take out of the cage. She also hides. Will she eventually adjust? What can we do to help her? Thanks.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Stop trying to handle her, chances are you're scaring her a lot more. Casper was the same only a few days ago, all he would do was hide every time I got him out so I stripped him from all the hiding areas which meant he'd have to follow the other rat, Chester, for support which got him a lot more confident. 2 days later (present day) he's hopping around and exploring further than his big brother!

Allow her to come to you, let her run around and explore and get the new smells of her home; put a little pile of food out and some water so she has something to eat and drink (if you have them out for longer periods) and when she's eating just lightly tickle her head, or stroke her when she's running past to to show her you're not a threat. Eventually (quicker than you think) she'll be running all over you and wanting to be handled. My Casper has no problem being held now, yet several days ago he was a nervous wreck!

I hope you get cuddles with your little girl soon! :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts