Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have had toby now just over a week and he is warming up to me and overall a pretty gentle and kind seeming rat (male)

But a few days ago when I put my finger up to the cage for him to smell me like he has been doing all week, he nipped at me (not too hard but hard enough it hurt a bit) and he just did it again now. He has done it 3 times now but one of the times I had a small treat in my fingers and he happened to get me by accident obviously.
What could be the issue here maybe?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I would say don't feed him treats through the cage bars. I did that for awhile and my girl Hope would lunge at my fingers and bite even if I didn't have a treat. She eventually got out of that habit (thank goodness), because I stopped the treat through the bars thing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
now that I remember the first time his cage door was open and I didnt have a treat. He came out of his house and nipped me and tried to pull me into his house with my finger in his mouth... 2nd time was through the cage

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Don't interact through the cage bars, even if you don't have a treat. That's more or less asking to get nipped. Rats have poor eyesight and so they go mostly by smell, following by teeth to test if something is food. They aren't always gentle with this.

For every interaction, open the cage door.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts