Rat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started a new topic because the other one got a little off topic so you can lock it if you want:

About 17-20 days ago my females got ot of their cage while the boys were out. When I walked in one wast "mating" with the male and the other was just playing by her cage. Anyways didnt think much of it because I thought females had to be in heat to mate and didnt think she was. Anyways shes def prego. Her nipples are very prominent and her tummy is BIG. She been licking her vagina alot and nipping at her stomache alot so I think its very soon. Shes in a 20 gal aquarium with a hut in it right now. So anyways any tips/opinions would be great. If not just stop by to see pics whenever because once the babies are born I will be posting pics everyday. Here are two pics I took of her today(to see more pics of her prego belly look at the oter topic I posted in here).

·
Registered
486 Posts
Re: Update: Shes due any day now

Wow! She looks ready to pop!

I love it when you can hear all the little ones eeking and squeaking. So cute!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Yes she does! I was so worried she was pregnant but now that I know she is for sure I am VERY excited. I honestly have never heard a baby rat lol so I'm excited cuz I keep reading everywhere that their squeeks are cute...I'm very excited. I'll write back on how shes doing later tonight(I have to go babysitt some little boys for a few hours). I have a feeling it will be very soon! So be prepared for lots of pictures of the little cuties!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I was "talking" to Miss Oreo today and she was standing up against the glass alot so I snuck a few pictures of her. Decided not to bother anymore then that though.

WOW look at that belly!!! Her nipples are very prominent. Poor baby. I think tonights gonna be the night!! I'm so excited!!

·
Registered
113 Posts

OMG BIG BELLY! I can't wait for the babies! If they are born today, that would be totally awesome because it's my birthday so... (train of thought just died)
The other rat in the background looks jelous, like, "Hey, how come SHE gets all the attention? Pay attention to meeeeeee!"
Now I'm just being stupid >XD

·
Registered
10,641 Posts

I have to add, you are going to keep her separate from the other female aren't you? Just a few days ago, on another forum, a woman let her female have the babies with her cagemate. (we warned her). Auntie decided one of the baby boys was hers and tried to steal him. This leads to a baby not getting nursed and possibly injured. This baby boy lucked out, and the owner removed the Aunt quickly, but not before he had a chunk taken out of his 6 day old ear. :(

·
Registered
486 Posts

lilspaz68 said:
I have to add, you are going to keep her separate from the other female aren't you? Just a few days ago, on another forum, a woman let her female have the babies with her cagemate. (we warned her). Auntie decided one of the baby boys was hers and tried to steal him. This leads to a baby not getting nursed and possibly injured. This baby boy lucked out, and the owner removed the Aunt quickly, but not before he had a chunk taken out of his 6 day old ear. :(

Aw, it's horrible when thngs like that hapen.
I unfortunelty had no other choice but to leave my girls together when Dotty had her babies - I had no idea that Dotty was pregnant until about 2 days before the birth so didnt have the time (or money) to get a seperate cage. Luckily Doris was a very good 'auntie' though and looked after the babies at times. She also tolerated them clmbing all over her and sleeping in the hammock with her, which was SO cute.

I think it's rare to get other females like that tho, but now I know more if I ever brought female rats again and one was pregnant, I'd definitely split the two up.

This has just reminded me of something else. About 3 years ago when i was doing work experience in a pet shop a female rattie had an unexpected litter. The shop assistants didn't know what to do with the babies so waited until the shop owners son came in...and he just picked the babies up out of the mothers nest, shoved them in a tub then into the freezer for snake food :( I just didn't know what to say or do.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Oh dont worry "auntie" was in for a visit when I took that picture :wink: . they are sisters and have always been together so I figured since the bubs werent here yet she could visit for a minute.. But I know that once the bubs are here I cant let them visit in the cage together :? . When I take Miss Oreo out I'll let her and her sis play on my bed or something

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Oh by the way she didnt have her bubs last night :cry: ...I was so expecting it to be last night... this sux because I promised this lady I would babysitt her kids all night tonight so I wont be able to see the bubs when their born(if their born tonight) :cry: ....I wont be back untill tomarow night :x. Oh well next time I'm on I'll be posting pics of the bubs lol :D so be prepared...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OMG i just saw drops of blood(kinda watery blood) underneath her so I think shes in labour!!! I'm so excited and nervous!!! I thought rats only had babies at night?? Its like 11am...

·
Registered
486 Posts
I can't wait for pictures!

Dotty started having hers at about 1PM, so I guess it's different for everyone.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
False alarm :oops: .....there was just about 2 drops of blood but since then nothing. But not to worry she seems fine. If she doesnt pop by sunday night I will defiantly call a vet.. But shes either on her 20th, 21st, or 22nd day of her pregnancy so I think she is right on the right track. I really hope/think shes gonna have her bubs tonight so I'll probably be up all night(cant sleep when I'm nervous..lol havent slept at all in 2 1/2 days hehe) so i will post when I see the first bub for sure! When shes finished I'll do a guess on how many cuties there are but wont bother momma for a head count and milk band count untill tomarow so momma and bubs can have some alone bonding time...just as soon as I know the bubs are born safely I'll be able to fall asleep and leave her alone lol...But anyways will try and get some pics of the bubs tomarow night(if they are born tonight) if it doesnt stree momma too much

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just got home and was about to take her to the vet when I found out she had already delivered her babies. Sadly 5 bubs didnt survive even though she was still trying to take care of them(I know its heartbreaking). But she let me remove them from her cage. she literally just looked at me with big sad eyes.... :cry: ...Little bubs you will always be in my heart. Have fun at the rainbow bridge ... But one little bub survived this tragic ordeall suprisingly. And boy hes a little talker.. But momma is taking great care of him(or her lol). Right now she is laying next to him feeding him. I took some pics but at the time he didnt have a milk band but he has one now so dont worry I checked. So heres some pics of momma and baby....

1 - 20 of 34 Posts