Freddy, Alfredo, Juniper, Figgy, Dobby
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We took him to the vet earlier and the vet said:
-He is not in pain
-It could be a ear infection, tumor, or something else that I forgot
-They gave us antibiotics and stearoids

They said one more thing.
If he doesn't get a little better in a week, we will have to put him down. I felt so sad when they told me, I am kinda newish to rats and have never had one pass away so I am stressed and sad.

He is in a small cage right now with food and water and a buddy.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I started him on the meds and he took the baytril. He was not taking the dexamethasone so I had to mix it with some ice cream. I will go out to the store later and pick up some baby food and other ice creams. What flavor and brand is best for the ice cream???

·
Registered
Scampi + Goose
332 Posts
I am glad to hear an update! I hope he starts feeling better.
It would be a shame if you have to put him down, but he wouldn't have to suffer anymore. Poor guy...
I don't normally use ice cream, but if that is what it takes for it to go down his throat so be it! :) He deserves a treat anyway. He has been through a lot these past few days. I am not exactly sure which flavor. Maybe vanilla? Anything sweet will do, lol.
- I really do hope he gets well soon and you start feeling better too! I wish you both well, Vividdonut12

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am glad to hear an update! I hope he starts feeling better.
It would be a shame if you have to put him down, but he wouldn't be in pain anymore. Poor guy...
I don't normally use ice cream, but if that is what it takes for it to go down his throat so be it! :) He deserves a treat anyway. He has been through a lot these past few days. I am not exactly sure which flavor. Maybe vanilla? Anything sweet will do, lol.
- I really do hope he gets well soon and you start feeling better too! I wish you both well, Vividdonut12
Thank you, yeah. I agree. He is currently in the hospital cage with freddy and he is taking the meds.

·
Registered
395 Posts
We took him to the vet earlier and the vet said:
-He is not in pain
-It could be a ear infection, tumor, or something else that I forgot
-They gave us antibiotics and stearoids

They said one more thing.
If he doesn't get a little better in a week, we will have to put him down. I felt so sad when they told me, I am kinda newish to rats and have never had one pass away so I am stressed and sad.

He is in a small cage right now with food and water and a buddy.
Awwh I’m glad he isn’t in pain ! That’s a good feeling , I hope the medication makes him better , I bet he is a strong little rat that will pull through this :) it must be so hard for you I’m so sorry !

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I have been noticing that Alfredo is definitely slowing down. He is uncomfortable and he just doesn't really seem as happy as we was at the beginning of all of this. It seems like he isn't enjoying his food anymore. Do you think its time? I leave for a week long trip in 3 days and my mom will take care of the rats.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I was going to post a link about this, but I just realised you are leaving very soon (?like in a day) for a week long trip. So you've probably already had to make a decision about what to do. Instead, I'll just say all the best and I hope its worked out alright for you and Alfredo. 🐭🙂

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep. Tomorrow. I have watched videos about when it’s the right time. I think it’s time. My mom is staying here with some of my other siblings during our trip though. Do I wait to let him go until we get back? Or during our trip. I rreallly don’t want to do that tho

·
Registered
Scampi + Goose
332 Posts
Yep. Tomorrow. I have watched videos about when it’s the right time. I think it’s time. My mom is staying here with some of my other siblings during our trip though. Do I wait to let him go until we get back? Or during our trip. I rreallly don’t want to do that tho
It very well may be the right time to let him go. It is up to the state of his health. It is always hard to make these decisions, but it is sometimes in the rat's best interest.
Please update us if you can. I realize it has been 4 days since this thread has last been updated. You may have already made decisions. I am very sorry you are having to deal with this.
-Wishing you only the best, Vividdonut12

🐀💗🐀💗🐀💗🐀

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you so much. I had to go on my trip. i couldn’t have him out down while i was away. He has gained so much weight and is looking great. He still has a head tilt tho which won’t go away. So depending on how he gets, we may still need to put him down. It is such a hard decision though. i want to be SURE that it is time because he is one of the best rats i have owned.

·
Registered
Scampi + Goose
332 Posts
That is great that he is doing better. He could have just had a severe ear infection and is now healing. But it is hard to tell. Hopefully, you won't have to put him down.
- Best, Vividdonut12

1 - 15 of 15 Posts