Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would post an update on Bert. It seems that he no longer fears being the first one in the play area! And he actually is loving play now. I think there may come times when he feels more anxious than others though and I understand that.

He made a huge leap of progress yesterday. I had his cage hooked up to another part to make a large cage yet had not opened it up for use. Since Bert and Bastian's cage is plenty big enough for 4.5 rats and there are only two in there, I just took that lower part off since it was just taking up space and I wanted to use the shelves to expand Morgan and Hobbes cage a bit larger. Since I took this bottom part off, Bert and Bastian's cage sits directly on the table.

Bert was running all over the table exploring, going onto the chair next to him and even the futon! All of this on his own! It was such a huge progress and he seems happier with his cage if not a little annoyed that he can't perch out on open doors when I open them anymore (the doors are made out of wire shelves so have a perch ledge Bert loved to walk out on and receive lovins from.

He seems so much happier with his cage this way! I thought he would hate it since he seemed to enjoy being high up so he could stare me down when needed. But he still stares me down, just from a fun to play on table lol.

One thing that was hilarious is him trying to figure out how to get on my shoulder. Before I would pet him and he would climb onto my shoulder and brux and then Bastian would follow. This time they were down lower, so they climbed up my shirt to my shoulder. Bastian was so funny, as soon as he saw Bert on my shoulder he climbed up my shirt from behind and startled me :D It was so cute, for some reason whenever Bert is on my shoulder HE needs to be up there too. They really adore each other.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Is he the one that wouldnt go to playtime unless the girls went out first?

And regardless, good for him!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, your close. It's an all male house here but he wouldn't go out unless his mortal enemy and HIS cage mate were out first. I have two cages, one is Bastian and Bert and another holds Morgan and Hobbes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts