Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Helloo again! Skel here with a little update on Dewy.

So far he's been a bit more active, and even playing with his brothers some. He does eat, and he does drink. If by this time next week he's not more active then I'll look into a vet visit.

Does anyone know of any good preventive mite, lice and flea medication for rats? I have been looking around.

·
Registered
219 Posts
To effectively treat rat mites and lice, you must use Ivermectin or Selamectin. The same goes for fleas, but fleas are an extra nuisance because unlike mites & lice, they are not species specific. If your rats have fleas, you have fleas. You will have to very thoroughly clean your home if you have a flea infestation.
If you are doing preventative treatment you should use Selamectin, also known as Revolution. Dosing consists of one drop of Puppy/Kitten formula, between the shoulder blades of each rat. You should spread the fur so the dose gets on the skin. Distract the rat for 30-60 seconds so the medication can dry. This one dose kills fleas, lice and mites and protects them for 30 days.
Ivermectin is more complicated to dose and can be toxic. I wouldn't recommend using it as a preventative measure.
I don't know where you are from. In the States (& Canada?), you technically need a prescription from your vet to get Revolution. You can however order it online from places in New Zealand.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm from the Eastern area of the United States! Do you know how much a vet visit to check for lice/mites/fleas and get a possible prescription would cost for three rats? And if they do have those things, how do I properly clean their cage so that its sterile once again? I don't have to throw anything out, do I?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts