Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I experienced URI for the first time. Two nights ago, Justin had an attack. It was the most horrid gasping, wheezing, whistling sound. Not much sneezing and no poryphin around nose or eyes. Just horrid breathing attacks. I did the steamy hot bathroom thing, this stressed him out even more. I gave chocolate drops. The next morning his wheezing was worse. He was not eating, playing and not himself at all. I hit the phone list and contacted every vet. To find an after hours vet in SA is like gold. But, I found one willing to see him, at a hefty price. I didn't care, whatever it cost. She prescribed Enrovet antibiotics and gave me Doxy. But told me to hold off the doxy and only give the doxy if he doesn't respond within two/three days of being on the Enrovet. She advised to put Rascal on the same treatment as he will most likely get it too. I have done this. lol can see that they have lost weight. They both not eating so well. I have been spoon feeding yogurt and baby food. Today, they seem abit better. Abit more lively and ate a little of their food. My question is: I thought URI's are associated with lots of sneezing and poryphin? Justin only had wheezing, gasping and whistling sounds? I'm so new to this....I always hear of Batryil. We don't have this in SA the vet said.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
I experienced URI for the first time. Two nights ago, Justin had an attack. It was the most horrid gasping, wheezing, whistling sound. Not much sneezing and no poryphin around nose or eyes. Just horrid breathing attacks. I did the steamy hot bathroom thing, this stressed him out even more. I gave chocolate drops. The next morning his wheezing was worse. He was not eating, playing and not himself at all. I hit the phone list and contacted every vet. To find an after hours vet in SA is like gold. But, I found one willing to see him, at a hefty price. I didn't care, whatever it cost. She prescribed Enrovet antibiotics and gave me Doxy. But told me to hold off the doxy and only give the doxy if he doesn't respond within two/three days of being on the Enrovet. She advised to put Rascal on the same treatment as he will most likely get it too. I have done this. lol can see that they have lost weight. They both not eating so well. I have been spoon feeding yogurt and baby food. Today, they seem abit better. Abit more lively and ate a little of their food. My question is: I thought URI's are associated with lots of sneezing and poryphin? Justin only had wheezing, gasping and whistling sounds? I'm so new to this....I always hear of Batryil. We don't have this in SA the vet said.
Baytril is also known as enroflaxin. Azithromycin would also work. URIs can affect the nose (sneezing, congestion) or lungs (wheezing difficulty breathing).

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Nanashi! They seem to be doing better. But not eating their food much. They only eat a little of the baby food and yogurt I give them. They are at least drinking water. I'm new at administrating the antibiotics. Wow, this isn't easy! They squirm like crazy and get all stressed out. Wrapping them up to keep still seems to stress them out even more! But, with allot of patience I'm managing. I just hope they getting it in.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
You can try hiding the medications in baby food or mix it with oatmeal/baby cereal and a tiny bit of syrup which makes it more like a treat than a stressful event. All our boys now look forward to meds since we have successfully conditioned them to see it as fun. I would avoid giving dairy with the doxy since there is some debate about the absorption of certain antibiotics when given with dairy. You should see improvement in their breathing within 5 days on the meds. Monitor their water intake and make sure they stay hydrated. Go to an e-vet if he is gasping for air with his mouth (respiratory distress) or if he is extremely lethargic and is refusing fluids. I have been there, done that plenty of times so feel free to pm me if you need to ask specifics.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can try hiding the medications in baby food or mix it with oatmeal/baby cereal and a tiny bit of syrup which makes it more like a treat than a stressful event. All our boys now look forward to meds since we have successfully conditioned them to see it as fun. I would avoid giving dairy with the doxy since there is some debate about the absorption of certain antibiotics when given with dairy. You should see improvement in their breathing within 5 days on the meds. Monitor their water intake and make sure they stay hydrated. Go to an e-vet if he is gasping for air with his mouth (respiratory distress) or if he is extremely lethargic and is refusing fluids. I have been there, done that plenty of times so feel free to pm me if you need to ask specifics.
Thank you so much. I was thinking of mixing the meds in with baby food. I'm going to give that a try and feed them separately so they each get the correct dose. Poor little things hide when they see the syringe. Thanks for letting me know about the diary.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Our rats love Baytril and Doxy in baby food. We got another med that wouldn't mix well with baby food but several suggested soaking it into bread and that worked for us, so that's another option if baby food doesn't work. Good luck!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Our rats love Baytril and Doxy in baby food. We got another med that wouldn't mix well with baby food but several suggested soaking it into bread and that worked for us, so that's another option if baby food doesn't work. Good luck!
Thanks! The bread is a good idea as well!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts