Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The vet tested Pumpkins nasal drippings (my polite way of saying snot) and found no sign of infection. He is putting him on doxycyline anyway and has given us Baytril for any future evidence of infection. They are also doing a fecal exam, which we should here back about in a couple of days. The vet said that even though it is unusual he has seen something that looks like a URI but it is just the rats excited noise. Regardless, he is treating it like a URI to be safe.

Thanks for everyones help with this.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Sometimes these little ones can rack up such high bills, but aren't they worth it? :) I'm glad it looks like nothing serious and all bases are being covered with the medication. I really wouldn't use that breeder anymore. Something seems a little "off" about the situation.

Good luck to you and little Pumpkin!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One thing that did bother me about the vet is he said that the rat should be on store bought food! Erm ... really? I don't think so! With all that soy and corn in? But still, you are right, at least all bases are being covered medically. I was heartbroken last night and couldn't sleep - it's amazing how fast these little critters become a part of your family.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I use Oxbow, which you can get at Petsmart or online. My girls have done amazing on it and it seems nutritionally balanced. My vet approves of it!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts