Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been almost two weeks since my Kale was diagnosed with severe pneumonia and only given an outlook of 40% survival rate. :(

I have taken him back to the vet to have his second x-ray. His lungs are clearing!! He is eating and drinking a lot more, and actually playing. He still breathes fast, but it is a lot better. Today, he decided to curl up to me upside down and rub his tummy while he did his teeth grind and fall asleep. What a sweet heart! :lol:

For anyone else that is having a severe case a pneumonia, the vet prescribed gentamicin for the nebulizer twice a day, along with baytril and doxycyline. I have also been giving him very small amounts of dark chocolate, and tons and tons of love.

As for the possible paraphimosis, the vet said because his breathing was so labored, he was unable to retract. Now, he is all better in that reguard.

The battle is not over, but it looks very positive, so those who have this same problem, don't look so bleak! :D :D :D

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I'm very glad to hear he's doing better! :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I do have another question though... This was all basically triggered by another rat attacking him when he was in the pet store... He is young, but I am very hesitant on getting him a friend when he heals. Should I risk it again? I don't know what to do.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
If you do get a new rat, it's generally advised to keep them as separate as possible for about 3 weeks to make certain neither of them have anything communicable (lice, mites, sendai, sda, etc). So you could, theoretically get one now and keep them apart. Make sure to do proper introductions, which should hopefully negate any possible fighting and stress to your boy.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Unfortunately stress can definitely set off a bad myco attack.
But I do believe that in the long run, a couple of baby rats for buddies will do him more good than bad. Like Forensic has already stated, quarantine and follow proper intro steps and it should go well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts