Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i got a new baby about a week ago and after reading a few posts and looking at a few pics I an almost positive she is pregnant. She's very round and has obvious nipples showing. I will attach pictures to see if any of you think I'm right. If she is should i put her in a my 10 gal tank right away to keep her from giving birth on a wire cage?

Man it looks like Im squashing her, but was barely even touching her.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Re: I think my new girl is prego, please help

Yup. Looks pregnant to me. Lol. I'm in the same situation right now--bought two girls at the petstore. One looks like yours (maybe a little bigger), the other one looked slim, but now her nipples look like that, too. So I'm preparing for two litters.

Wire cage is okay if it has a plastic tub bottom. Otherwise move her to the tank. 20 gal would be better, 10 is a little small.

·
Registered
109 Posts

If you have a drop-in style cage, you should move the mom to the aquarium. Just make sure that it's well-ventilated.

If the wire part of your cage does not sit on the plastic base (i.e. it's a couple of inches from the bottom) then you should be fine. The only thing you have to worry about with wire cages is the babies getting stuck in the bars, but if the bars don't touch the floor then you should be alright. Correct me if I'm wrong...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

The wire cage i have is a 10 gal tank topper but I had to add a base to it to make it fit i think the tank I have is 15 or 20gal. She seems fine other then her not wanting us to really handle her. I started feeding her a little egg and veggies today just in case, I guess that was a good idea. She doesn't like being separated from our other 2 but I think she'll be fine as long as a give them time together every day. I'll post more pic's as time go's by, this is the first time I have ever had a pet have babies so I'm really excited!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Update: Rattins any day now!

She just keeps getting bigger, I didn't know her little body could swell so much! She's beginning to build her nest so I took down the ramps. I'm so excited! I can feel them moving in her little belly. I think there getting impatient to come and meet me. I will be able to post pictures of them in a few days maybe sooner.

·
Registered
411 Posts

Same here. I thought Waffle was ready to pop a couple days ago, but she is still growing. Last night, she built her nest, so I'm hoping babies are coming soon!

·
Registered
120 Posts

Congrats! My girls didn't even look that pregnant! She was a little bloated and her nipples didn't show that much, but the next morning.... SURPRISE! 13 little eepers. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I have eleven little sweeties! She waited until i went grocery shopping today and by the time i got back she was cleaning them off. I thought they were coming last night becouse she bit me pretty good for cleaning her bedding. There so precious!

I'll post new pictures every day! Oh and by the way she wasn't convertible in the tank so I made a cloth cover for the bottom of the wire cage and hooked it to the bottom , it seams to be working nicely.

·
Registered
120 Posts

They're precious! *gush* They all look like they'll be about the same light colorlike mom, but I can't see them all. And the aggression is normal; my girl became extremely agitated and protected and wouln't even let me open the cage until I'd treated to her to a handful of Yogies and a puppy biscuit to keep her occupied. I can't wait to see more piccies!

·
Registered
10,641 Posts

They all look dark-eyed to me. Pink and ruby eyes you can barely see. What colour is mom anyways?

·
Registered
120 Posts

*points to first post* A creamy color I think. Maybe white or beige.

·
Registered
120 Posts
They're so adorable! I remember when my babies were that small. If you think they look big now -- just you wait! Be forewarned, when it comes time to choose who to keep, it is *very* hard. I am having so much trouble with it. I can't keep mom (she doesn't like me, won't let me touch her anymore, and my dad has a 2 rat rule) so I have to choose between two girls and 2 boys, which markings and colors to keep. It's mindboggling how hard it is! Oh, and picking names. Don't.... get... me.... started!

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
open the cage & see if Mom comes out on her own. Try a treat just out of reach. If she makes a move for the treat & this takes her away from the babies you will be able to safely pick her up & place her somewhere long enough to check the babies

that killer attack rat mode moms go into is when they are in the immediate area around the babies... in my experience they are far safer to handle when away from the babies.... this is just based on my own personal experience, YMMV

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
she wasn't happy with me for tricking her out of her cage but she calmed down once I got her in another room. her babies are great all of them are still alive and healthy. T can see there patterns now, They all look like mom!

they were all there when i sat them down but when i turned to pick up the camera a pair crawled off. Even with a pair out of the picture this one was the best.

·
Registered
17 Posts
There is an error when I try to view the picture above. :(

They are adorable from what I can see!!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts