Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

Would it be possible to update the Good and Bad Foods and Ratty Recipes thread with a more comprehensive list of fruits, vegetables, grains, nuts/seeds, treats (such as dog treats), etc... that rats can have? I think it would be beneficial for those who are new to having ratties and for those who have recently gotten back into having ratties. I come to this forum a lot for information on my girls since I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing and I don't want to make them sick or harm them in any way.

Thank you!

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
IMO it is really hard to give a great comprehensive list of what rats CAN have. Because they can have just about everything.

It is far more easier & wiser to list of what they can not have. Everything else just give in moderation. I prefer to stick with veggies for the most part and a few treats here or there. Yummy snacks are fun but rats are generally pretty happy getting healthy snacks most of the time lol Feeding them treats is often more for us then it is for them I think lol

Favorite treats are cheerios, yogurt, gerber baby puffs.

Here is the list of bad foods I made. It is not perfect but IMO a good guide of things to generally stay away from.

·
Administrator
333 Posts
Technically speaking, we can. It's a matter of coming to an agreement with what should or shouldn't be included in that list, that is the the difficult part. :)

YL

Hi!

Would it be possible to update the Good and Bad Foods and Ratty Recipes thread with a more comprehensive list of fruits, vegetables, grains, nuts/seeds, treats (such as dog treats), etc... that rats can have? I think it would be beneficial for those who are new to having ratties and for those who have recently gotten back into having ratties. I come to this forum a lot for information on my girls since I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing and I don't want to make them sick or harm them in any way.

Thank you!

·
Registered
953 Posts
It would be easier to write up one that has general concerns on the foods we don't give or better phrased, "foods that should be avoided".

`Avoid giving citrus to boys, keep processed junk food very limited (I count store rat treats in that)...that sort of thing.

There isn't much that we eat, that would actually kill or poison a rat, unlike our other pets. Rats and humans are highly successful animals in a large part due to being able to thrive on so many different foods.

The list, though many of us may not agree with 100% is actually not terrible and gives some decent general guildlines. Perhaps something like Moonkissed, because I think the clear understanding of cooking legumes and potatoes in important. (though this goes more for regular potato's than sweet imo) Almost all of these should be followed for humans btw. ;)

I do feed very limited cabbage to my rats. Very limited, cause I hate it. But everything that is a whole food pretty much has anti-nutrients or some hidden danger. Like brown rice-great fiber and nutrients found, but it also has some things that may surprise you-tiny amounts of arsenic. Basically if you research any food you are bound to find things that seem less than great. It's why I'm a strong proponent on varied diets (within that animals guidlines of course), organic when possible, for both animals and humans.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone! I don't have enough time to read everything here as I'm headed off to bed (I just wanted to check and see about this thread).

Moonkissed: I didn't actually think of that! Thank you so much! For some odd reason, Ana likes to sip off of our soda drinks that we have. I know this is bad for her and I always stop her immediately. She also tries to get into our alcoholic drinks (in the rare occurrence that we are actually drinking) but never gets any as I knew from working where I work that this is a huge no no!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts