Rat Forum banner

URGENT ADVICE NEEDED PLS HELP!

972 views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  Heartman Jin 
#1 ·
Hello my rat had a black spot on her back skin towards the rump. She never itched it nor did it hurt but I consulted a vet and he said it's a fungal infection. So I cleaned her habitat and isolated her and started on antifungal spray and cream as per vet. But I see no improvement and after a day of putting the meds she got a bald spot around them and now am worried it's not fungal. It's my first time dealing with this pls can someone guide me on what it is (picture attached)
Plant Feather Snout Close-up Wool

See less See more
#3 ·
Same tbh I'm also worried it's a natural pigmentation but am not sure cause the vet I consulted is the one I showed my rats ear infection to so I trust his word but ya I'm not sure what it is. She doesn't squeak when I touch it but does jump and squeak when I apply something on it. And no it's not a scar she never had any abscess 😟

#8 ·
Hi I checked other places where she has black fur seem to be pinkish actually. I asked the vet he told fungal can cause skin pigmentation as well. Is that true?
If it were my and rat; I would stop the medication. In my opinion, since she wasn’t having any problems(no scratching, etc), I would just continue to watch it without interfering. I personally do not bring my animals to the vet unless it’s for vaccinations if needed or unless there is an emergency that I cannot handle at home. One of my dogs had this weird bump on his side, took him to the vet, he said it could be a tumor, wanted me to spend $2,000 on removing it without biopsy. I declined, took care of it on my own, turns out it was spider bite and was gone in two days. Sometimes vets do not always know. To me, that does not look like anything to be concerned about especially since she was not showing concern. If you can take more pictures that would be great but in my opinion I would stop what the vet said and continue to watch it. If you notice it changing shape, size, color, that is when you need to worry. If you have access you can outline whatever it is that is worrying you and you will have a frame of reference if it got bigger or changed because you will see the original outline.

#9 ·
If it were my and rat; I would stop the medication. In my opinion, since she wasn’t having any problems(no scratching, etc), I would just continue to watch it without interfering. I personally do not bring my animals to the vet unless it’s for vaccinations if needed or unless there is an emergency that I cannot handle at home. One of my dogs had this weird bump on his side, took him to the vet, he said it could be a tumor, wanted me to spend $2,000 on removing it without biopsy. I declined, took care of it on my own, turns out it was spider bite and was gone in two days. Sometimes vets do not always know. To me, that does not look like anything to be concerned about especially since she was not showing concern. If you can take more pictures that would be great but in my opinion I would stop what the vet said and continue to watch it. If you notice it changing shape, size, color, that is when you need to worry. If you have access you can outline whatever it is that is worrying you and you will have a frame of reference if it got bigger or changed because you will see the original outline.
Hi I took a few pictures more the color is just spreading more but ya even now she isn't really scratching there biting and grooming yes but it's more or less her usual.
Dog breed Fawn Dog Ear Whiskers
Dog Vertebrate Dog breed Ear Grey

#10 ·
Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like your rat was having zero problems with her skin then your vet prescribed some sort of medication that made her hair fall out.

If that's an accurate description of the events, it sounds like the problem is with what your vet prescribed and not with your rat's skin.
Yes I believe the spray he prescribed didn't suit her well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.