Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Violet just started bleeding from her right nostril out of nowhere. I just deep cleaned the cage (no chemicals used whatsoever, just hot water) and split it to add my youngest and eldest two to. As I was trying to put a hammock up I picked her up to hand to my husband and her nose just started gushing. It stopped on it's own after three to four minutes, I was blotting her nose, and I though that it was just a random nosebleed. I was going to make a topic about it after I hung the hammock but then it started up again, again only in the right nostril. I'm covered in blood, her face is covered in blood and the towel is covered in blood. What could have caused this??! And what do I do?! She's sitting beside me in the hospital cage right now so I can monitor her.

She has been sneezing, and so has Mica but I chalked it up to the room being cool and maybe dust. Ruby and Thistle were sneezing too but stopped after I brought them downstairs to intro with June. Her lungs sound good, everyone's lungs sound good. She's not poofy or lethargic, very active and eats and drinks like normal.

http://s48.photobucket.com/user/Hey...72_2339339077551082196_n_zpsb5b0e726.jpg.html

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What my husband and I have come up with and realized is that it was probably caused by low humidity in the room and a box of vanilla scented trash bags. The bags are rather strong but I didn't think anything about it till now. My room is the coolest in the house (I can't sleep if it's warm) and I have a fan on 24/7 so the air's a bit dry. When I took my eldest 2 downstairs they stopped sneezing while Mica and Violet still did. I'm going to run a humidifier and see if that will get them to stop sneezing.
Any advice is still welcome.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Sounds like a burst blood vessel near the skins surface. I myself had an issue like this when I was younger. Easily fixed in humans. Don't think so much with a tiny rat nose.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It stopped on its own about three to four minutes after I posted here. No sign of it returning so far. After it stopped she cleaned herself and you wouldn't have known anything was amiss except for the fact I'm peppered in blood. I've had the humidifier running for over an hour and now no one is sneezing. She's sleeping in the hammock, I've checked on her multiple times. I think I'll call my vet in the morning and ask what she thinks.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The humidifier has worked like a charm, the only downside is now my room is nice and muggy. And warm. I hate warm.
But if it means my girls being happy and healthy I'll begrudgingly live with it :/

No more nosebleeds and no more sneezing from any of them so I'm 99.9% sure it was low humidity and cool dry air that caused it and the trash bags just irritated her sinuses to a point where they bled.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Could of been a tiny scratch as well if they were tussling. One of mine just got me in the nose and it's amazing how much I bled from a tiny rat claw. I imagine their noses are even more sensitive. Of course mine is also a lot easier for a toe to get into-if he wasn't careful I could of snorted his whole arm up there.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She would have had to be reeeealy digging for gold up there as there wasn't a scratch outside of the nostril or even one in the opening.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts