Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, the 10th, I returned home from work and was told my Ren, my 1.5 yr old rat, hasn’t moved almost all day.

I rushed him to the vet last night, and I was told he has pneumonia. I was so confused because I didn’t know how it could have flared up that fast. He wasn’t showing anything the days before.

Now, he has gone so much downhill. He won’t eat or drink on his own, i have to syringe him everything. The vet prescribed 20mg/ml Baytril .3mls once a day for 14 days. Also 20mg/ml Doxy .3mls for 30 days. I don’t know what do do. He isn’t getting better and it’s only been one day. I am so worried. I don’t want to lose him.

·
Registered
201 Posts
First of all, im so sorry about your rat being sick but pneumonia can develop very fast, for example if ur rattie drank something and it went into the wrong tube it would sit on the lungs and cause pneumonia right away and they would go downhill in the span of a couple hours. Im guessing something similar happened to your rat. Rats need a couple days 2-3 to show progress in getting better. Prayers for ur rat ❤‍🩹

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Rats can be pretty good about hiding their symptoms so your little guy may not have been feeling well for a little while and it finally got bad enough that he couldn't hide it any longer.

Antibiotics don't work right away. It can take several days before you start seeing any improvement and it can take up to a couple weeks before this issues appear resolved. Keep up with the medicine, make sure your little guy is eating and staying hydrated. Call the vet if you haven't seen any improvement after 5 to 7 days or if he starts to get worse.

Good luck and keep us updated!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rats can be pretty good about hiding their symptoms so your little guy may not have been feeling well for a little while and it finally got bad enough that he couldn't hide it any longer.

Antibiotics don't work right away. It can take several days before you start seeing any improvement and it can take up to a couple weeks before this issues appear resolved. Keep up with the medicine, make sure your little guy is eating and staying hydrated. Call the vet if you haven't seen any improvement after 5 to 7 days or if he starts to get worse.

Good luck and keep us updated!
I took him back this afternoon. They gave him oxygen for about 30 minutes and told me the best option was euthanasia, but I wasn’t ready to let go. I heard great things about Zithromax and I wanted to try it. The vet prescribed me 100mg/5ml SUSP of Zithromax to be given only .25 ml once daily. Also Baytril is 20mg/ml to be given .3ml once daily as well. Is this dosage correct? I want to give him the highest possible dose he needs for him to get better. I’m determined and hopeful for this guy. He is 582-587g and I think he has some fight in him. I was told he wouldn’t make it home but he’s made it several hours since and is still kicking!!

I would also greatly appreciate any other tips as well. I have been syringing him pedialyte on and off as well as oxbow critical care. Anything else would be lovely. I can’t lose this boy.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
The doses seem fine. Azithromycin is often used when enrofloxacin and doxycycline aren't appropriate (like for young rats). An azithromycin/doxycycline combo is on the RatGuide recommended treatments list for respiratory infections. I don't know that it's better than enro/doxy but this seems like a last-ditch effort and throwing the kitchen sink at the problem can't make it worse.

Just be mindful of your rat's quality of life. The Isamu Rat Care youtube channel has a good video called ["Euthanasia: What to Think About"].

1 - 5 of 5 Posts