Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, i am really freaking out right now and really upset. I just went to go feed my ratties and it seems as though my oldest, Ginny (2 yrs.) has had some sort of stroke, seizure or something of the sort. She if fully aware and it responding like normal, but is VERY dizzy, clumsy, etc. She seems to be tilting her head to the side, and is constantly falling over herself. She is also lifting her head up higher that normal. I've already checked her over for something in her ears, on her paws, etc. She does not seem to be in any pain. Any ideas??? She is my first rattie that I ever got and i am truly devastated by this. :(
Thank you so much. I will keep this updated.
-Jessica.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE: I've just given all three girlies their food. Ginny is eating although she is still falling over, tilting head, etc. She has taken treats from me. When my other rattie Harper was in her final hours, she would not even eat her favorite treats. (Hopefully this is a good sign?)

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Is she using her paws normally? Do her ears smell? When did symptoms onset?

·
Registered
835 Posts
I don't know really anything about rat seizures and such but I do suggest scheduling a vet trip for as soon as possible.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She seems to be shaking her head a bit more often. Yes, i believe she is using her paws normally. I just tried smelling her ears and I didn't smell anything prominent besides the normal rattie smell. Honestly, This could've happened anytime between 8am this morning and about an hour ago. I went to school at 8. Came home for literally 5 minutes to brush my teeth for a dentist appointment at about 4, then after, came home and was studying. I did check in on them twice during studying but if this already happened then I wasn't there long enough to notice. But she definitely wasn't like this when I do the usual morning hello.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Does she seem clumsy on one-side -- like always circle clockwise, falling to the left, etc? That would be a stroke.

A seizure would normally have a short period of time and she would recover.

In either case, both have a risk of having several episodes following them. A seizure will be a frenzy of activity (running around like crash). I don't know the specifics of a stroke in rats. Give her a protein-heavy meal and some fluids, and monitor her tail temperature.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Based on your description, I no longer think it was a stroke. But I have not ruled out seizure's. I have just given her some baby food, and she seems to be drinking. How do I take a tail temp?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do what you are talking about when you say clumsy on one side and walking in circles. I have a cat who is about 17 who has had multiple seizures and strokes. But Ginny seems to still be eating and acting normally besides the initial symptoms.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
It's just the cheap man's way to monitor temperature. Touch the tail and compare it to the others. Make sure it isn't ever too hot, as fevers post-seizure are bad news.

Going forward, there isn't much to be done for seizures. Generally, you don't want to put her on anti-seizure meds unless she is having them consistently (for my dog, it was more than one a month for three months). Seizures can be caused sometimes by auditory stimulus of certain frequencies, dehydration or low blood sugar (fasting for several hours beforehand).

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, I am leaving for school now she seems to be OK. She is still very wobbly and falling over though. I will ask my parents to look in on her throughout the day. Any other ideas on what this could be?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts