Rat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Feeding time was a mere 40 minutes ago. I always feed my younger boy - Behr - first because he's a few days younger than his adoptive brothers. Well as I dug around in the fleece, I noticed the paper towel beneath it was covered in blood spots. I found Behr with several gashes on his face, back and neck. He screamed when I picked him up. I sat him in the children's shoe box I put them in to get a better hold on them for feeding and he wobbled before doing several rolls and attempting to climb up a corner. He screamed again when I lifted him so it was extremely obvious the damage was done. I took him outside, kissed his little head and did what I had to do. This little creature that I have tried so hard to keep in this world these past few days - eyes and ears still closed.... I had to take him out of it.

My three rat pups are.... Were.... In a small "betta" kritter keeper with paper towel on the bottom, followed by a sheet of fleece, followed by fleece scraps. There is also a probe thermometer that records the temperature where they sleep. There is nothing in the bin to do this damage besides one another and the two older pups do have some pretty large teeth now. This leads me to believe one of them killed Behr. Everyone has their share of blood on them so I can't be sure who it was. The older boys don't have their eyes open but their ears did open today. I expect Kaiser to be a little older while Tobias isn't far behind, just a days difference.

Do they need to be separated? I am concerned now for their safety.

Did I not clean the formula off well enough and they were just hungry and smelled food on him?

What do I do? I am heartbroken. I can't stop looking at his mangled, lifeless body. Help me. This has already been a rough day for me with my anxiety and now this. Anyone, please.... Help me know what to do.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And after all that, I spelled homicidal wrong..... Sigh....

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. I have NEVER heard anything like this happening to those still this young. Are there any other factors in this? Do you have a cat or other animal that could have gotten to him?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No the only other animals in the house are rabbits and the rats are situated on the counter - far out of reach. Not to mention they're in a locking container. Should they be separated or should I evaluate at their feeding in an hour?

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Can you get some photos? Size of the cage and what the other rats look like, etc.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It won't let me post photos of Kaiser and Tobias but there are photos in my other thread - My Trio Rux, Roux & Splinter. (They underwent a name change)

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
We need a photo of the little guy to get a better grasp on what may have happened. You can use a photo uploader site then paste the url in the chat box

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've already disposed of him in a way I can't go get him to take photos. It sounds cruel but I'm in the stix and that's just how we do it around here. No waste. We'll leave it at it involved our dog (he's an outdoor dog, wasn't him.). The injuries were gashes, though. I saw a post earlier about a rat biting someone's hand (they got one stitch) and the wounds were similar.

·
Registered
664 Posts
And you say their eyes are still closed? Are they eating solid food or are they still on formula? This is very unusual indeed. Do you have other rodents in your house? Was the lid on or off of the enclosure? Maybe a mouse got in or something? I'm so sorry for your loss :(

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
We'll leave it at it involved our dog (he's an outdoor dog, wasn't him.)
I'm confused. Are you saying that you'll blame it on the dog even though it wasn't him? If I were in your position I wouldn't stop till I found out why and how this happened.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Eyes are still closed, they are still on formula via paintbrush and they are pottied but they no longer deficate for me. I do find little turds in the bin, though. The lid was closed and secure. The lids to critter keepers lock. We have no other rodents that I am aware of.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No, I'm not blaming the dog. I was explaining how I disposed of Behr's body and that our dog is an outdoor dog so he couldn't have done the damage.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
You fed him to the dog? I'm not trying to criticize or start a feud, but why?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I laid him down where I knew the dog could reach and walked away. I am moving on Sunday so I was not comfortable burying him here and seeing as garbage day is Monday he would rot in our can. Not to mention I couldn't throw him away. We do not waste here. Waste brings ***** and other undesirable animals. That is how we live out here. It is the same reason I was able to walk outside and end Behr's pain. They are our animals and we love them but we do not let them suffer or waste.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Without the photos we can't tell what may have happened. No one has ever heard of babies attacking babies and I personally think that it wasn't his brothers that done it. It's sad news that he passed while still a baby and we give you our condolences. May the other two thrive and grow.

I wouldn't separate the remaining two.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Would it help if I marked on a photo of a baby where the gashes were? I don't know that I would have even been able to post a photo. It makes me sick just thinking about it. The poor baby was torn up pretty bad.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
It may help, you're welcome to post them.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I did some googling but couldn't find anything about rats committing siblicide. Couldn't find anything about neonatal rats attacking one another at all. Other animals will commit siblicide to remove competition for resources and I think you did mention the Behr was smaller than the other two. He also could have been sick. I know mother animals will commit infanticide if their offspring are sickly. This is just really puzzling.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I completely agree with Mrs. Brisby. This is unheard of and I honestly don't think the other two could have done this. This is like month old human twins killing it's sibling. Is there anything in the tank they're in that could have done this? A faulty wire perhaps that was frayed or didn't have it's covering? Is the tank itself completely smooth on the inside, no sharp spots or rouge pieces of plastic inside that was a fault from the manufacturer?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts