Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my name is Chad and i'm 15 years old I have a rat that is young and he is having a hard time breathing and his skin is cold but his nose isn't runny I think he is about to die as he doesn't eat as much as he did before I am really worried I think it may be my fault for killing him can you please tell me what is wrong with him and he seems to be breathing fast please respond as soon as possible as i'm REALLY worried he will pass tmw morning. Please note he is a hairless rat

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Rats are notorious for respiratory issues. If it is that bad, it might be too late. I know you probably know this and maybe cannot afford it, but your rat REALLY needs to get to a vet. Normally a vet will prescribe medications called Baytril and Doxy which can help with respiratory illnesses.

Lets look at what you can do for now. What kind of bedding is your rat in? Make sure it is dust free. If you are using dusty bedding, replace it with a towel or old clothes for now.

Make sure the air is as clean as possible. Keep your rat warm. Give him anything he will eat or drink. Get water in him somehow. Try to get him to eat. A product called Ensure or Boost will help keep him going. It is a liquid with lots of vitamins.

If you have dark chocolate (the darker and more pure the better) try to give it to him. It can help clear his airways.

I'm sorry to say that he NEEDS a vet. Try to do all you can for now. Comfort him.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I forgot to mention! Run the hot water in the shower or bathroom sink. Make the room super steamy like you took a long hot shower and bring your rat in there. It should be like a sauna... let him breathe in the steam. Make sure not to let him get burnt on the water... just let him breathe it in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rats are notorious for respiratory issues. If it is that bad, it might be too late. I know you probably know this and maybe cannot afford it, but your rat REALLY needs to get to a vet. Normally a vet will prescribe medications called Baytril and Doxy which can help with respiratory illnesses.

Lets look at what you can do for now. What kind of bedding is your rat in? Make sure it is dust free. If you are using dusty bedding, replace it with a towel or old clothes for now.

Make sure the air is as clean as possible. Keep your rat warm. Give him anything he will eat or drink. Get water in him somehow. Try to get him to eat. A product called Ensure or Boost will help keep him going. It is a liquid with lots of vitamins.

If you have dark chocolate (the darker and more pure the better) try to give it to him. It can help clear his airways.

I'm sorry to say that he NEEDS a vet. Try to do all you can for now. Comfort him.
their bedding is dust free and i cover it with clothes on top also i'm trying to feed him but he wont eat at all

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. Rats live such short lives and when they get sick they tend to get REALLY sick. Please don't let this deter you from owning more rats in your life. You did all you can and I'm sure you were a great owner to him.

I lost my Mocha a few months ago in a way similar to how your boy went. It is so hard to watch them go through it and the hurt stays with you for a long time. Luckily, so do the happy memories of the good times.

Welcome to the forum, though I wish it was under better circumstances.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts