Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realized today that my parents do not like my rats, because of the smell. Today I was called about two baby rats, and was told that If I didn't come get the babies, then they'd be left outside to freeze. My parents told me no, because the three girls I have now smell badly. ( Don't worry, I have the girls here at my grandmothers, and my aunts willing to take them in, if my parents continue rejecting my request.)I really need to get there smell under control, if I ever plan on having any others, especially since i'd like males next. My cleaning schedule is this: I have a double critter nation, if this helps. I use fleece liners, and fleece hammocks as well. The fabric's are change every week, and are all washed with vinegar, baking soda and a safe cleaning agent AT THE END OF EVERY MONTH. Until then, they stay in a tote under my bed, and are sprayed with perfume to keep the smell at bay. About every two weeks, I wash everything else. I also wash the pans down with Lysol wipes. My mother bought me a ferret water deodorizer as well, but i'm totally on the fence about that....They also do not understand that I can't have air freshners, as I came home tonight to see one on top of my cage. Needless to say, I was not happy. But like I said before, I'm in desperate need of help...

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
You need to be doing a thorough cleaning of everything every week - wash fleece, hammocks, wipe down bars, shelves and pans, change litter and deep clean toys. You can leave one soiled hammock or bed area per wash so they do not go crazy scent marking everything. Throw away anything that is soaked in urine that you cannot wash such as boxes, wood, cardboard etc - these things tend to marinate the smell more than other stuff. Like ksaxton said, you cannot leave the dirty rat laundry in your room - I presume that is really the key smell instigator. You need to be doing the laundry as it gets dirty. In the end, your parents may still have a problem with the ''smell'' if they (in reality) just do not want you having the rats at home. You can also invest in an air purifier as these tend to help a lot. Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.