Rat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the youtube link I made. You are going to have to turn your volume up. At one point it looks like he is struggling to breath in that his body jolts - he is actually scratching. I only got him from the breeder on Monday. Use yesterday's News litter (as the breeder did) and we don't wear perfumes or anything (we are an unscented household). I listened to his lungs but couldn't hear any problems - of course I am no vet. Please help - I need to take him to the vet don't I? I am so worried - I only got him 4 days ago - he shouldn't be sick!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYM9LXBe8HE

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
If anything, I'd say Baytril but I'd be careful in administering ANYTHING without a vet. Did he come with a health guarantee?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The health guarantee was only if he becomes sick within seven days AND dies - then we get our money back or a new rat. That really isn't that important to me at the moment, I just want him well. Thanks for your comment. Did you see the video? I know it's hard to hear but I was wondering if it sounded like a URI to anyone else? I mean, what else could it be? I am assuming most rats recover pretty well with the correct treatment. We have had him out on our laps all night and the noise stops when he is really calm. The breeder mentioned red nose or snot and he has none of that. Apart from the weird noise he is completely normal - well as normal as we know him to be - we have only had him 4 days.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Wow.

It's been a decade since I adopted from Amy, so I don't remember what her health guarantee used to be, but she used to constantly claim 5 year lifespans on her rat lines. Anyway...

That is a definite URI, and it was contracted before you got the rat. She should be recognizing that and offering treatment, since this was a problem on her watch and not yours.

Duramycin is not approved for use in rats. Another big mistake on her part.

Contact your vet for some doxycycline and find a new breeder.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I'm sorry but it appears you are going to have to take him to the vet. They will probably give him Baytril, which is the most common. Cagedbirdsinging is right. It is such a horrible situation. I'm sorry you're going through this, but I'm sure he will be worth it. He is gorgeous. Get better soon little guy!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Our regular vet couldn't see us until Monday, but we called around and found one that can see him this morning. The breeder is insistent that all he needs is duramycin and maybe it would be fine, but really, I can't take that risk with my boy. I don't think he can have baytrin since he is only 8 weeks old, so my awesome hubby, who has to take him because I am dropping my kids off at their first ever drop off birthday party at the same time, has instructions to discuss doxycycline and zithromax. Clearly, I have spent an entire night reading up on this.

·
Registered
190 Posts
How'd it go?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts