Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello we have a 2 year old pet rat and he has a lump under his chin. It grew massively over a few hours and burst the next day before we could get an appointment with our vet. We have an appointment tomorrow morning but worryingly where the lump was is now bleeding. He was dripping blood but is now stable but squirming about the cage. I am so worried and upset and have no idea what to do. It appears also that the lump is getting bigger again but due to the full social distancing in place the vet are still telling me I have to wait until tomorrow. Only other option I have is the emergency hospital but not sure if it is too late or if he will let me take him out his cage when he is feeling like this. Please any advice will help

·
Super Moderator
115 Posts
Oh no thats horrid sorry to hear that.
Can you insist he is seen as an emergency?

All you can do is clean it for now, use some warm salty water, try to clean it out then put some pressure on it to stop the bleeding if its still pouring. Keep the cage clean.
I've not heard of bleeding like that from a lump, abscesses normally fill with pus along with blood which will be a greyish or clear fluid and possibly smelly depending how old the abscess is

This link may help Health Guide: Wounds

1 - 3 of 3 Posts