Rat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About an hour ago Thistle ran under my foot and I stepped on about three inches of her tail at the tip. She screamed and I got off her just as soon I realized what had happened. I checked her tail, she squeaked and I just thought it was bruised because it's not kinked or anything, and I let her go back to playing.

Then she took a tumble off the side of the cage and landed on her back. I again checked her over and other than the tail she's fine. Then about fifteen minutes after the tumble I checked her again and noticed that the tail was a blackish blue and purple color and it's cold and limp. I freaking the frack out. My vet isn't open till monday and I will be out of town tomorrow overnight and I can't bring her with me due to the hotel not allowing pets. I'll be home monday evening.

I'm worried that if it is broken she'll try to self amputate, and with me not here if she does I'm worried about infection. My in-laws are having to care for my girls and before this fiasco all they had to do was check in every once in a while and make sure the food and water was full.

What do I do?! I gave her .5 ml of Metacam about 30 minutes ago when I realized she's really hurt.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Id dose her with metacam twice a day, hopefully she takes it easy so your inlaws can do it. If they can't maybe seperate her abs a friend in a seperate cage and though is not ideal get them to add it to food for both of them and hope she gets a good dose. i would let them know to keep an eye on get and if she stops eating or looks puffed up to get her to an emergency vet. If not get her in first thing in Monday. Hopefully the metacam will have done is job and the swelling will be under control and the tail will have circulation again. If not it will need surgically amputating. i think that's the best you can do for her now. The metacam should keep the pain low enough that she leaves it alone. Everything crossed for her

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Will do. She's in the hospital cage right now so I can monitor her. Here's the photos I took about an hour ago, I forgot to post them when I made the tread.

Hand Finger Nail
Finger Hand Thumb Arm Joint
The tail looks a little darker now though.

EDIT: better, not darker. The colors coming back and its not as cold.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The tail is starting to regain color and warmth, the very tip is still blue though.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I wonder if damage to the tail caused her tumble, like if her balance was thrown off?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Will do. She's in the hospital cage right now so I can monitor her. Here's the photos I took about an hour ago, I forgot to post them when I made the tread.

View attachment 191554 View attachment 191562 The tail looks a little darker now though.

EDIT: better, not darker. The colors coming back and its not as cold.
Yesterday this happened to my Jerry also. My mom said me to apply a solution of turmeric and vegetable oil on her tail and it's working. Her tail has alomost regained colour and pain has decreased. Seeing pics I can say that thistle is injured more. Jerry's half tail turned red and little bit blue and now she's recovering.
Then too should I take her to a vet?

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
That looks better than I'd imagined. You might get away woth it Fingers crossed. It will have gone blue from swelling and the metacam helped get that under control. Hope it works out.

for both heyfay and sanet if the colour is good and the tail tip feels warm and the rat isn't bothered by it then I'd just monitor them and give anti inflammatory and not bother with the vet (they will tell you to do the same). If it's cold or dead feeling then it needs to come off and for that you need a vet.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good news, it's not broken!! Just badly bruised. Today I could handle it and she didn't make a peep nor did she try to escape while doing it. She's now moving the tail, no longer limp, and running about like nothing even happened. I haven't given her a dose of metacam today either, so I know she not just running around because the meds relieved the pain.

She's still being monitored and will continue to be so for a few more days.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
That's prefect. They do surprise you. a friend had a plastic tank fall from height with rat on it and that trapped her tail but the tail healed up fine with pain killer and just had a kink in it now.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was out of town yesterday on a mini vacation and this morning I had called the vet and made an appointment before I left the hotel. When I got home I discovered that she was doing worlds better and since money is very tight right now, I cancelled her appointment. She's back with the others acting like her normal, happy self. Tail's still bruised and purplish but the circulation is back along with the heat. She's still on watch but I'm confident she'll be alright

1 - 10 of 10 Posts