Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dash - a fairly young rat approximately 6 months old is walking slowly, arching her back, sucking in her sides, and standing her hair up. Her lungs sound fine though she is breathing quickly.

There wasn't a fight in the cage that I know of, there is no blood anywhere, no outward sign of injury. What can I do? I'd rather take a day to see if it improves before running to the vet since our regular vet is off on Fridays.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
A similar thing happened to me once. Sadly it was an internal growth and she had to be pts :(

·
Registered
80 Posts
When my boy was young he used to act sick too, and it got me really worried sometimes, and I'd called the vet a couple of times but literally the next day he would look so much better. Just keep a close eye on her, make sure she is eating and drinking. I've learned that, at least from my rats, they can really bounce back on their own with a bit of TLC.

Try checking her over, seeing if it seems like any 1 thing hurts particularly. If she stops acting like herself and stops eating and drinking, definitely take her to the vet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts