Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

My hooded rat died this morning in my arms at 2 years old, I think he had a stroke and starts having seizures this morning before he passed.

His albino brother Marley hasn't acted strange yet but it's killing me knowing he's going to be alone and wonder where Arnold is. Everyone I've spoken to has advised getting another 2 rat babies and slowly introducing them. At first I couldn't even think of getting other rats but now I've realised that I love having rats around and can't bare the thought of none :'( I miss my boy so much right now.

I just want to know what the advisable length of time is to get new babies and try introducing them. I don't get paid until next Friday so is just under a week too short? Should I give him any longer? He's still eating although Arnold has only been gone a matter of hours.

Any help and words would be much appreciated as the hole in my heart is huge and I'm falling to pieces here. I'm finding it hard to come to terms with losing one of the best Christmas presents I've ever gotten.

RIP Arnold. I love you to the moon and back and I will see you at the rainbow bridge with all my other babies I've lost.

ImageUploadedByPG Free1414935784.134999.jpg

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Rest in peace, Arnold.

So long as your other rat doesn't begin getting depressed you should be fine waiting. Don't feel rushed in your grief.

You'll want to get two young ones - under 3 months.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rest in peace, Arnold.

So long as your other rat doesn't begin getting depressed you should be fine waiting. Don't feel rushed in your grief.

You'll want to get two young ones - under 3 months.
Thank you. I'm so down right now but I don't want Marley to end up suffering of depression or anything.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Did you allow your other boy to see Arnold's body? Rats are so smart that I've heard it's important for them to see the body of their cage mate so they understand what happened and where he went. You don't want him just wondering why Arnold disappeared suddenly. He'll still grieve, but it does help them knowing what happened. Imagine a loved one of yours suddenly disappeared and no one told you what happened. That's how your other boy may feel if he doesn't get some closure by seeing Arnold's body.

Then you can move forward with getting some new babies. I would definitely get two younger ones if possible. That way, once your older boy passes, you'll still have a bonded pair and won't have to go through this again.

And I'm really, really sorry for your loss. I know it hurts. RIP sweet Arnold.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you allow your other boy to see Arnold's body? Rats are so smart that I've heard it's important for them to see the body of their cage mate so they understand what happened and where he went. You don't want him just wondering why Arnold disappeared suddenly. He'll still grieve, but it does help them knowing what happened. Imagine a loved one of yours suddenly disappeared and no one told you what happened. That's how your other boy may feel if he doesn't get some closure by seeing Arnold's body.

Then you can move forward with getting some new babies. I would definitely get two younger ones if possible. That way, once your older boy passes, you'll still have a bonded pair and won't have to go through this again.

And I'm really, really sorry for your loss. I know it hurts. RIP sweet Arnold.
Thank you for your kind words. And well he passed away about 8 hours ago, should I still show him the body ?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Thank you for your kind words. And well he passed away about 8 hours ago, should I still show him the body ?
Yes, absolutely! It's important for Marley's mental health to know what happened. Just lay Arnold's body in the cage and let Marley see him, sniff him, process. After a few minutes, remove the body. Then I would give Marley some extra cuddles.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Yep, he should see the body. So sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Mort died yesterday morning and after sobbing uncontrollably and burying him, we went to lunch and discussed. Mort and Binky did not get along so they weren't caged together. Binky promptly decided that Mort's cage was better and moved in. We went to look at youngins with the plan that only if one met all our personality standards would we take one home. (Binky does well with other rats, not really worried they won't get along.) We found Teatime and it was like Mort had been reincarnated. This boy was meant for us. I miss Mort but I did the right thing. Now to let them get through quarantine and intros.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Rest in peace Arnold. Oh boy. This is so sad. I'm not good at handling things like this. I'm too emotional. I know my boys have to go one day and there is nothing I can do about that. I just don't know how I'm going to to handle it...

·
Registered
270 Posts
When we got our first rats one of them died after two weeks from a sudden severe respiratory infection. I had quarantined him before he passed and I never showed the body to his cagemate. I didn't think he'd care after such a short time together, but the sudden disappearance of his companion really did a number on him and he would scarcely poke his head out until we got him a new buddy.

I'm sorry for your loss; I was heartbroken to lose my first rat and I'm not sure how I'll handle it when our current boys go.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts