Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all it's been some time since i've posted here. Anyway my rat, B, has been sick since October. It has been a long time. She had been in and out of the hospital and was very bad, but just a couple of weeks ago, took a dramatic turn for the better and in those 4 days, she was almost 100%. But something happened and she suddenly took a dramatic turn for the worse.

So the main issue for a VERY long time now is a congested nose. We have done X-rays and her lungs are clear. it's literally all stuffed up. recently it has gotten so bad that she has been gasping for air a lot. We have an oxygen concentrator connected to her cage all the time now.

She was just put on Zithromax a few days ago after being on trimethoprim-sulfate for a long time. She has also been on doxy (vibravet paste) this whole time. We also have theophylline for her.

The vets in my country don't really know about rats and after reading the rat guide, I don't think they're being dosed correctly.

Both my rats are around 250g. Zithromax is an oral suspension at 200mg/5ml.
They are getting doxycycline in Vibravet paste form.
The less sick one is on baytril at 10ml baytril in 10ml water.
Theophylline is at 80mg/15ml

will someone please help me calculate the dosages? Please help. I only want them to get better.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Have you tried giving Baytril to the one with the stuffed up nose? That's something that's usually prescribed for URIs. You might also want to try Orbax if that's available in your country. That's what I mainly use and it works great on my guys. (it's expensive though)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you tried giving Baytril to the one with the stuffed up nose? That's something that's usually prescribed for URIs. You might also want to try Orbax if that's available in your country. That's what I mainly use and it works great on my guys. (it's expensive though)
Hey thank you so much for a quick reply. She was on baytril for some time and it helped but she suddenly got a lot worse. When she was on the trimethoprim syrup for ages and was stable, i asked the vet if we could switch back to baytril and we did, and she got a lot worse. At this point i'm so desperate i'm trying to get that VetRX respiratory relief but It's not available in my country. Im going to look up Orbax, thank you for your suggestion

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
What's the temperature of the room your rat is in? It should be at least 69F, better 71F. Try to keep the humidity around 40-60%. My rats had a few sneezes that completely stopped after I added a portable heater close to their cages. As it turned out the temperature around my rats' cages was 5 degrees F-7 degrees F lower than the temperature where my thermostat is located, same room but it is a very large living room.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What's the temperature of the room your rat is in? It should be at least 69F, better 71F. Try to keep the humidity around 40-60%. My rats had a few sneezes that completely stopped after I added a portable heater close to their cages. As it turned out the temperature around my rats' cages was 5 degrees F-7 degrees F lower than the temperature where my thermostat is located, same room but it is a very large living room.
I'm in Southeast asia so it's pretty hot where i'm from, about 25degC, which i've converted to 77F. Rats are not a common pet in my country and that's why i'm asking about the dosages. I'm afraid the FOUR vets i've seen are calculating based on hamsters or rabbits

1 - 6 of 6 Posts