Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Snorlax the rat has been wheezing on and off, in his sleep and it ends with a "sneeze" that's probably more of a cough. I've been giving him Baytril for the last 4 days but he is still wheezing.

He is a piglet so usually grabs my finger and hoovers up the medicine in seconds (I mix it with hot choc powder). But yesterday when he licked the medicine up he did it quite slowly and I had to put it right in front of his face. That is very unlike him. His behaviour otherwise is unchanged and he is still very active.

Also when he was on my shoulder I could hear a clicking when he was breathing. I am worried the antibiotics are not strong enough - should I take him back to the vets and ask for doxycyline as well?

I watched my last rat die from asphyxiation (pneumonia I think) and it was terrible, I'd much rather have him put down. The first sign was him going off his food, then lethargy, and later that day he died! :(

Thanks.
Beth

·
Registered
222 Posts
With his age and his behavior seeming off/him seeming to get worse to you despite being started on Baytril, I would go back to the vet and get him on an antibiotic combo.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts