Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

Out of my two babas, I noticed especially Alfie had been sneezing and making weird noises, so I took them both to the vet for an overall health check. My conclusion was right, the vet seemed to think Alfie's breathing especially sounded a bit laboured so I got given some antibiotics for the both of them.

I am managing to get them to take it, by mixing it with Carrot chunks so I know that they're both getting some in their system. I'm just still worried about Alfie. Today is the third day I've had the medicine and he has started shivering now too.

They have plenty of cosy places in their cage as I make sure they keep warm so it shouldn't be to do with the temperature, as Eddie doesn't shiver. It's definitely not bruxing as I can tell when he's doing that. It just feels like he's vibrating.

I don't think he is nervous around me as much as he used to be, as they climb all over me and give me kisses and such now so they are definitely more comfortable around me. Could it have something to do with the infection? And if so, does that mean it's getting worse? I don't know if he's just tired but after half an hour of free range he lies in the corner like in my attached photo looking sleepy.

I am also unsure if the vet has given me the correct dosage. I got given 100ml of baytril (2.5%) and told to give them both 0.1ml shared daily. Out of experience, does this sound about right for rats that are roughly around 13-15 weeks old?

I love my two babies and I'd be distraught if something were to happen to either of them. They're still quite young too, I've only had them about 2 months, if that.

Any advice would be muchly appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
395 Posts
I thought Baytril stunted growth in young rats? If this is correct maybe switch over to Clavamox or Amoxicillin (which is easier to purchase through non-vet sources).

·
Registered
222 Posts
To my knowledge no one has done studies on young rats and baytril specifically regarding stunting growth. It has been tested on and does stunt growth when used in puppies, though, so general extrapolation has been done regarding other species as a possible risk. When dealing with more minor issues it's best to choose a different medication, but with severe illness it may be the choice between a slight risk of stunted growth and a certain risk of death. I'd ask the vet about it if you are concerned, but if your rats are really ill amoxi is not going to be enough. Azithromycin is a pretty effective med that is ok for babies, too, that works better than amoxi in my experience.

Good link on baytril: http://www.animalhealth.bayer.com/5161.0.html

We can't say whether the dose is adequate without knowing the weight of your ratties.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts