Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since my little jd now had quite bad hld I've noticed goods stomach is very red and raw looking. I clean him off at least 3 times a day, and we are ordering vet bed for him, but is there anything I can put on to soothe his skin? When I do clean him you can tell it's hurting him.

· Registered
1,141 Posts
What bedding is he on? Might benefit from putting him on some pain medication to manage any pain symptoms. Urine burns can be the result of not cleaning the cage often enough so this may be something that needs to be addressed. If you aren't already doing so, you need to be using soft litter/bedding and should be changing it out regularly. Fleece liners are good for this as he will able to grip them easier to move around. I would wipe his poor tummy daily with a warm washcloth, pressing gently on the areas affected. You could also try treating him with Glucosamine and Vitamin B which may help his condition overall.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We have him on shredded paper bedding at the moment, but the vetbed should arrive soon which I read is really good for ratties with HLD.

I'm also cleaning the cage out every other day and cleaning him off 2/3 times a day, and he's getting better at not sitting in his urine, but the skin just looks so painful and red. I'll definitely look in to getting him some glucosamine and vitamin b, see if that helps at all.

I did read online that you could put vaseline or sudocream on his skin to soothe it and help it heal, but I'm worried about his brother ingesting any if he cleans him. Would it be harmful?

· Premium Member
4,287 Posts
I would aim for a fragrence free mosituriser, possibly one sold for nappy rash. As long as you rub it in well they wont get much licking it and because there designed for babies they are very safe.

For now i would put down a towel over the shredded paper, shredded paper is rubbish for absorption so will enhance this kind of issue. Also empty out his bed regularly as this will be the area he's marinating in.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you, I'll go get some after work.

Side question - my vet keeps telling me to get him put down, but other than the urine burn he's okay. He still eats and drinks fine, in his free roam time he's active, he loves to cuddle, and his eyes are still bright and full of life. Am I being selfish, or is my vet a little too trigger happy?

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Brilliant, thanks. I will pop and get something like sudocream later. Vet has got him on antibiotics as well (though I'm not sure he's infected at the moment).

I really just want to extend his life as much as possible. the vet keeps talking about putting him down but he's still eating, and trying his best to run around, and his eyes are still shiny and bright. I just don't feel like his quality of life is that bad yet, and am trying my best to help him out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.