Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone use this?? http://www.vcaworld.com/Urine-Off/Products/Urine-Off-Small-Animal

It won't cause any problems to my rats if I use it on the soft furnishings in the same room where their cages are will it? I suppose it shouldn't since it's marketed as safe, but I just want to make sure it's okay before I buy any (I can get it online here in Sweden).

Our adopted boys stink!! I have throws, blankets etc. covering the sofa where they often freerange, but the fact that they scent constantly, on everything, all the time is a bit much to bear sometimes as they really do not smell good. :( Our original boys hardly scent or smell at all.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I haven't used that one. But it seems like it's an enzyme type one, like Natures Miracle which I've used for many years. Natures Miracle I like the light scent of and I will some times delute it a little and spray like all things that my animals come in contact with. Walls, furniture, carpet ect. I also use it on really large cages I can't get outside often-like the dcn. When I do my full clean up I spray it full strength heavily on area's I know I'm probably not getting too, like between levels and such. I let it dry naturally before putting anything back in. Most full clean ups I just wipe down with a vinegar solution...but once in a while a heavier clean up is needed since I am not able to get the big cages out my doors.

Anyways-hopefully someone else has used it and can tell you. If not just compare it to Natures Miracle-reading it's info makes me think it's something like it.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mimsy. Does the Nature's Miracle eradicate the smell completely? I'm looking for something which gives me at least a small break from the stink so I'm hoping that the Urine Off will do the trick (can't get Nature's Miracle here unfortunately).

Ever since we adopted the last 3 boys the living room has reeked of rat pee all the time despite spot cleaning every day and weekly full cleans - and it's really quite getting to me. We cleaned out both cages thoroughly last night and I boil washed all the throws etc. from sofa this morning (all rat hammocks etc are also boil washed every week) and yet still it stinks. It's at the point where I don't want to have anyone come visit us, not even my children's friends :(. I was relieved when my father decided not to fly over and visit us this Christmas because I'm so embarrassed about the smell. We only had the three boys when my father was here in the summer and despite the soaring temps, the smell from our original 3 boys was almost non existent. These latest three just stink though!!!

I love all my boys, but I hate the whiff of them :(

·
Registered
953 Posts
for me it's worked 100% For hard to reach places, just make sure you really saturate. If it doesn't get into every little spot it won't work. You may have to do it twice in that case. Really look at your cage and think of places that when washing are not getting cleaned. Places where the frame meets another frame and such that pee can get between.

For machine washable type things-such as hammocks, blankets and such-try doing a normal wash-then soak in a vinegar solution (like 1/4 vinegar to water) and then don't rinse. Just dry. It's going to smell heavily of vinegar while wet, however once it drys it will no longer smell like vinegar.

Also are you sure you are not missing something? Like a wall behind their cage, the floor, is there a book shelf or anything that could be getting peed on?

Their urine is fairly sticky so if a place is not getting washed well it will build up there and the smell will keep intensifying.

Also smell check the bubs. Is one of them getting marked a lot? It's amazing how much smell can come from one rat who's being used as a potty place.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's nothing around the cage which is being hit by pee but I guess the daily spot cleaning isn't thorough enough, even though we do it many, many times per day. The entire cage gets hauled into the shower and fully scrubbed every weekend though and smells fresh...but as soon as the boys get in there the peeing begins and so does the stench. The boys themselves actually don't smell - they did when we first got them however, they stank of barnyard/cow poo. I guess they were on a bad diet before we got them. Makes me wonder if they have some internal issues caused by almost two years on crappy food. After a few weeks on Oxbow/Harlan Teklad once they moved in with us, the rats themselves stopped smelling, but their pee still does and to some degree so does their poo. Not as bad as it was when we first got them, but still...they certainly are a lot stinkier than the other three boys we have. Perhaps it's an age related thing too?? I noticed the smell worsened after we ran out of Oxbow (and now we can't purchase it anymore in Sweden).

As for vinegar, yes, I ran out of vinegar a few weeks ago and have consistently forgotten to buy new. The fabrics tend to not smell after the boil wash without the vinegar actually. It's just once the boys' pee/scent hits them....uuugh!

Anyway, I think I'll order some of the Urine Off and keep my fingers crossed that it works. Desperation!!!

·
Registered
953 Posts
If the smell is gone prior to the boys being put back in and the boys themselves don't smell, then no cleaning is going to help. Perhaps it's the opposite problem? Maybe you are over cleaning and they are feeling the need to over mark to compensate for the lack of smell in there.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I use Hartz Nodor, it's actually to spray on bedding but if you can get it it works for everything and has a pleasant smell. Highly recommended.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts