Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curious, how contagious are Uri's? Or are they? I was put under the impression that they were just flare up's from the myco. I'm supposed to pick up a baby, but I don't know if I want to bring him here if he is going to get sick right away. The baby I have now, it's really obvious that he has one. Lich, he hasn't really even sneezed, I just noticed a little red stuff in his nose the other day. The vet said if I was going to treat one, I would have to treat both, which is what brought this up. :? I am going to do the QT and everything, I just don't want to go back to the vet if I can help it.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Babies often sneeze and have a wee bit of porphyrin for a few days after arriving at a new home. If the baby cleans up the porphryin and its gone for the day I wouldn't worry, if its there all the time and there's more than a little then you can start to worry :roll:

The reason you don't want to bring in a sick baby is it may be carrying something far far worse than just a URI.

I have always treated just the sick individual rather than the group with no problems.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well as far as I know the baby that I'm going to get isn't sick *crosses fingers* but the boys I have now are the ones who have the URI's. The boys started treatment today, so they should be better before QT is over. How far do I need to keep them apart while QT?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Quarantine should, ideally, be for four weeks and in a separate airspace like another building. If you can keep the new rats in another building (the house of a friend who doesn't have rats for example) that is best. Always wash your hands and change clothes (showering is great) between houses and try to handle your rat first before going to give the other rat attention as if you do it vice versa you're more likely to spread something to your current rat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts