Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my two male rats (3-4 months) have quickly outgrown their small temp cage. It's time to get them a a much bigger cage. I've been searching the net a lot lately, and have found many nice cages (eg. Martins'). The only problem is that I am only 14 years old (young rat lover) and my funds, as you might imagine, aren't very big. I was just wondering if anyone has any old cages of adequate size for two rats that they weren't using, and wouldn't mind selling to me.

Oh, and I hope this isn't a problem post. I know some sites don't like any buying/selling activity. If it is inappropriate, I apologize beforehand. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
agreed. check out craigslist.org and find an area near you and just check stuff out. larger bird cages also work just fine, but you'll need to either modify some levels into them with hardware cloth or add a lot of hammocks for them to climb around on. avoid rabbit cages and stuff for "small rodents". rats are rather large rodents...

·
Registered
981 Posts
The shipping alone for anyone to send you a decent cage would probably be more than you're willing to pay, so definitely go to Craig's list. Look for bird cages, ferret cages, maybe rabbit cages? It's all under the pet section

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I did manage to find a few cheap cages at ferret.com. Not the FN, but what do you guys think of this nice cage?
http://www.ferret.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=650759+4L&Category=Ferret Cages&subCategory=Super Pet Cages

Only 50 dollars, and the rat calculator says it can take up to 4 rats. The best thing is that shipping is only 6 dollars? I can hopefully find 56 dollars somehow.

And if not, what do you guys have to say about this one if I can't quite reach 50?
http://www.ferret.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=650760+4L&Category=Ferret Cages&subCategory=Super Pet Cages

I know it's a bit smaller, but the cage calculator says it can hold 2. I know you guys will say the bigger the better of course, but if I can't find the money, will this cage do?

Thanks for everyones help!

·
Registered
981 Posts
The first one looks ok to me, I suppose. The second one looked too small, and I have the feeling if you had it you'd be upgrading sooner than you'd like.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts