Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I were to get some new rats, would this be okay to do or should I just buy all new stuff?

My rats passed away and some of their stuff is still intact/use-able.

Items in question include; Fleece pan liners, fleece hammocks, fleece tent, mineral stones/blocks, lave ledge, kaytee perfect chew for rats, flexible wooden bridge thing, cotton rope net. I assume anything plastic [Wheel, space pod(s), Ware litter pan, flexible tunnel] is okay to re-use as I can easily clean those types of things. I'm just not sure about anything absorbent [fleece and cotton] or meant for chewing [mineral and wood].

·
Registered
82 Posts
Fleece and cotton can be completely cleaned- they're just fabric, and fabric washes easily. Add some vinegar to the wash to help neutralize any smells and for the rope net, dry it flat so it doesn't get stretched or bunched out of shape.

Chew items that didn't sit on the floor of the cage should be fine if you can give them a rinse, but wood that isn't sealed and pumice that came into contact with urine (wood huts, lava ledges) I would probably not use. They're absorbent and hard to clean, so they will probably retain a smell that might bother your new rats.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All right, thanks.

I threw out the flexible wooden bridge, lava ledge, and a mineral/calcium block. I was going to keep the block because it was mounted to the side of the cage, but after I rinsed it off and it dried, it developed some weird pink patches all over it... Decided better safe than sorry and tossed it.

The only chewables I kept were one of those wooden Kaytee Rat Chews (barely touched) and an untouched Mineral Grinding Stone. Both cage mounted, never touched the floor.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Got to the party late... I probably wouldn't have any issue with reusing everything. Some stuff can get thrown in the washing machine, other stuff in the dish washer or just soaked, some stuff can be boiled, wood can be rinsed, bleached, or baked at a low temp.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts